Scaling recipe volumes

Brewer #420170

Trial Member
Reaction score
I'm doing my first beer. Simple Citra IPA - One Gallon from this site. I converted the amounts to metrics and made an excel file where I can adjust the volume with multiplier.

I have a question about the water requirements. Could someone explain this to me, like I'm 5. This tablet below is downloaded text file from the recipe.

WATER REQUIREMENTS:
Strike water volume at mash thickness of 1.5 qt/lb, 1.08gal (4.3qt) - What exactly is this? (qt/lb gave me nothing on google)
Mash volume with grains, 1.31gal (5.2qt) - Understood
Grain absorption losses, -0.36gal (-1.4qt) - Understood
Remaining sparge water volume (equipment estimates 2.05 g | 8.2 qt), 1.03gal (4.1qt) - what does this mean?
Mash Lauter Tun losses, -0.25gal (-1qt) - This is the stuff that is left behind after boiling when moving to fermentor?
Pre boil volume (equipment estimates 2.52 g | 10.1 qt), 1.5gal (6qt) - Understood, but can I use this to calculate sparge water volume?
Boil off losses, -1.5gal (-6qt) - This I do not get. If we lose 1.5 gal of 2.11 gal...
Hops absorption losses (first wort, boil, aroma), -0.02gal (-0.1qt) - Understood
Post boil Volume, 1gal (4qt) - Understood
Going into fermentor, 1gal (4qt) - Understood
Total Water Needed: 2.11gal (8.4qt) - That's a lot, if you multiply it to larger batch.

Can I just multiply everything to get 8 liters of final product? It seems a bit much to use 17 liters of water to gain 8 liter of beer. I don't know the physics, but isn't it so, that the amount of boil losses % is greater in a smaller batches than larger?

I'll attach my calculations, if someone is interested to look, where I did wrong. The excel file is made in one sitting, and I'm an amateur who hasn't made any beer yet.
Any help understanding the recipe is welcome!

Also, your equipment might have different losses than what is in that recipe. For example, your system might boil off only 2 quarts in an hour. You need to find that.

WATER REQUIREMENTS:
Strike water volume at mash thickness of 1.5 qt/lb, 1.08gal (4.3qt) - What exactly is this? (qt/lb gave me nothing on google)
Mash thickness is measured in qt/lb (L/kg) and is the ratio of water to grain. In this example 1.5 quarts of strike water per pound of grain.
Mash volume with grains, 1.31gal (5.2qt) - Understood
Grain absorption losses, -0.36gal (-1.4qt) - Understood
Remaining sparge water volume (equipment estimates 2.05 g | 8.2 qt), 1.03gal (4.1qt) - what does this mean?
This is how much sparge water you need to reach your pre-boil volume.
Mash Lauter Tun losses, -0.25gal (-1qt) - This is the stuff that is left behind after boiling when moving to fermentor?
This is what is left after you drain your mash tun (before boiling).
Pre boil volume (equipment estimates 2.52 g | 10.1 qt), 1.5gal (6qt) - Understood, but can I use this to calculate sparge water volume? Yes
Boil off losses, -1.5gal (-6qt) - This I do not get. If we lose 1.5 gal of 2.11 gal...
This is how much liquid that is lost during the boil. You can do a test boil some water to gauge boil off rate (usually measured in gal/hour) or just guess now and brew a batch. You can refine boil off losses on future batches
Hops absorption losses (first wort, boil, aroma), -0.02gal (-0.1qt) - Understood
Post boil Volume, 1gal (4qt) - Understood
Going into fermentor, 1gal (4qt) - Understood
Total Water Needed: 2.11gal (8.4qt) - That's a lot, if you multiply it to larger batch.
I'm think the large percentage of losses is due to the small batch size.

Back