Saving mixed DME

Vallka

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
couple things, can and how do you save DME after you make it up, can I freeze it, what do you freeze it in?
I also have some DME that has gone hard, I read in another site thread you can use it but I don't believe anyone unless they are on BF... and even then your all a bit suspect

its like any flour, its good as long as its dry and still good even if its gotten hard and clumped, just store it any way you want frozen or not it will keep in baggies or plastic containers dry or frozen, theirs really no need to freeze it unless you just not going to use if for years

So I could just make up a bunch up, put it in sanitized Mason jar's and Store it in the fridge until I need to use it. Of course it would be used within 2 to 3 months

Sorry yes, mix a batch of DME 6L boil and store it in the fridge.

oh so its not dme anymore that's different, you can freeze it in baggies or in a sealed jar in the fridge yes

If it were me, I'd can it with a pressure cooker if you've already mixed it. That would (imo) be the safest, easiest, longest storage method if made up. I have no proof that would be the best method and I'm a bit suspect so take my advice for what it's worth.

my only concern would be the head space in a jar, if you can use co2 or fill it full it would be better, any oxygen can mildew the wort even in the fridge in a jar, i freeze mine in baggies

Seems a waste of time and space to make wort from DME and then save it. You'd have to boil anything you save back anyway, so just save the DME and add it to boiling water when you need it. If you're concerned about it getting hard and being difficult or impossible to measure, portion out what you usually use for a starter, for instance, and store it in separate small ziplock bags.

second that thats the beauty of DME its simple you dont need to ever complecate it use it as you need and leave it in dry form.

If it were me, I'd can it with a pressure cooker if you've already mixed it. That would (imo) be the safest, easiest, longest storage method if made up. I have no proof that would be the best method and I'm a bit suspect so take my advice for what it's worth.
I can wort all the time. Use canning jars and put it in the pressure cooker for 15 minutes at 15 pounds. That's 250f. Works for green beans so pretty sure sterile wort should keep for quite a while.

In the fridge, wort (DME and water mixed classifies as wort!), especially unhopped wort, has a short keeping time. Either freeze it right away (and boil it after thawing) or don't mix it up in advance.

Hard DME does work just fine- it just takes a bit more work to dissolve.

I can wort all the time. Use canning jars and put it in the pressure cooker for 15 minutes at 15 pounds. That's 250f. Works for green beans so pretty sure sterile wort should keep for quite a while.
I can definitely see doing that with fresh wort leftover from a mash. It's worth saving and should last very well using that method.
As pertains to making up DME and canning with a pressure cooker, it just seems foolish to take something that's in it's most stable form, make it perishable and then try to preserve it.

Is there a particular reason you want to mix it with water before storing? As others have said, it will keep better in dry form, and it is so easy to mix up that you are likely making more work for yourself by doing this. If this is for starters, then you would probably be better off weighing out starter sized amounts ( lets say 200g ) and sealing that in ziplock bags with all the air squeezed out.

Is there a particular reason you want to mix it with water before storing? As others have said, it will keep better in dry form, and it is so easy to mix up that you are likely making more work for yourself by doing this. If this is for starters, then you would probably be better off weighing out starter sized amounts ( lets say 200g ) and sealing that in ziplock bags with all the air squeezed out.
thats the Idea it humid Queensland i just hate it when the dme cakes up around the opening of the DME bag next lot i get im going to sepperate out into 200g lots. I make most.starters in between doing.other chores so would makenit even quicker.

Thank you everyone I will now keep it dry and use as needed

Back