Saturday 29th October 2022?

Enjoyed it folks! Might be picking some brains a little more about the mashing hardware, particularly heating elements/hot plates. Getting water hot is not a problem because of the enormous burner I have. Keeping it hot or at a steady temperature is the problem, particularly in the mash. Need something I can put the kettle on that I can control a lot better than my dragon. I'm assuming it's better to have something that has a variable temperature setting as well as something to turn it on/off (like the ITC-1000 I use for fermenting). A lower heat setting will prevent scorching and slow down temperature swings. I was listening to you guys talk about your all-in-ones of different brands/species and temperature controls for a while before I uttered a word today.

Enjoyed it folks! Might be picking some brains a little more about the mashing hardware, particularly heating elements/hot plates. Getting water hot is not a problem because of the enormous burner I have. Keeping it hot or at a steady temperature is the problem, particularly in the mash. Need something I can put the kettle on that I can control a lot better than my dragon. I'm assuming it's better to have something that has a variable temperature setting as well as something to turn it on/off (like the ITC-1000 I use for fermenting). A lower heat setting will prevent scorching and slow down temperature swings. I was listening to you guys talk about your all-in-ones of different brands/species and temperature controls for a while before I uttered a word today.
Hey don't you have these over the side heat sticks in America.
This might be worth while.

If not Ultra Low Density you'll wanna run it via a Power Whatt Meter to cool it down to prevent scorching.

See I find as soon as you introduce an element in the mash you'll probably want to recirculate it to even temperature and also to move wort past the element.

Then there's where do you put the temp probe down near the element or at the return to the kettle...

I've got mine mounted down the bottom off a little way from the element prevents the wort down there heating up above saccrification point I'll insert a spare stc1000 probe in the centre of the mash and use this to monitor real time mash temp but have the element cycling on and off via the bottom temp sensor.

Anyhow just my 2c

Sorry guys, didn't make it.
Was all set to go and then my stomach decided to play up.
Lot better now.
Hope you all enjoyed

All strong again @Josh Hughes
Must have been the lunchtime 6 pack of hunters lemon, combined with heat....

Drinking mosi lager now, after sorting out bathroom water supply & prepping 2nd bathroom renovation

I'm back to struggling with internet, so it's gonna be hit & miss

Hope to be there. That's Iron Bowl day ('Bama vs Auburn) though. We knocked ourselves out of the playoffs with a couple losses, and even though Auburn may be having a bad season, they always play us hard. Last game of the season, so they leave it all on the field. Other than that, nothing really 'planned'.

Am I crazy or is it November and this thread is about the October meeting?

Back