Sam Adams and Dogfish Head merge!

jmcnamara

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Just heard about this today. Not sure how i feel about it. Seems like it's one step away from being an independent brewery and one step closer to becoming like an AB InBev

Slippery slope. I guess good that Bud or Miller is not the behemouth gobbling up small brewers, but now Sam's Dog is on the edge of behemouthdom .

Just heard about this today. Not sure how i feel about it. Seems like it's one step away from being an independent brewery and one step closer to becoming like an AB InBev
or they could be just fighting back from the big dogs taking over

My first thought was they put their heads together and some new beers will hit the shelf!
Definitely some sort of power play going on there though. will have to follow that.

http://www.bostonbeer.com/boston-beer-update

Lot of normal investor / marketing BS but I am tending toward OMB's take...they are trying to build a big enough local (american) company to hold their own against the InBevs...good on 'em!
PS....reading between the lines, there are investors, whoever they may be, who will be profiting from this deal....as is perfectly normal!

You will become one with the Borg.... I think SBAclimber is right - but I don't think Boston Beer Company needs a lot of help to survive against AB Inbev. Likely investors or owners seeking a buck (and a larger footprint or distribution network).

According to some of the pro brewers on podcasts lately, this is one of the ways these breweries are pulling together for a stronger foothold. Oskar Blues was one of the first, paving the way with Canarchy.
Funkwerks, Brooklyn Brewing, 21st amendment.
Elysian and New Belgium.
The list is rather lengthy. It's all about creating sales and distribution platforms and being able to compete. A lot of these places are even brewing each others beers.

IMO....It was almost a must do for Sam Addams as their growth is tied to seltzer water and hard apple cider as their beer sales have been falling off. Their ‘76 brand was to help rise their sales but it too hasn’t done very well and as recently as early April this year, Goldman Sacks downgraded Sam Addams to Sell (from your investment portfolio). So I see this more of a desperation move rather than a thumbing the big guys.

IMO....It was almost a must do for Sam Addams as their growth is tied to seltzer water and hard apple cider as their beer sales have been falling off. Their ‘76 brand was to help rise their sales but it too hasn’t done very well and as recently as early April this year, Goldman Sacks downgraded Sam Addams to Sell (from your investment portfolio). So I see this more of a desperation move rather than a thumbing the big guys.

Which one of these guys said :"let's do this?" If their growth is in the beer alternative of this cycle, why not go for the unique brews that DFH comes up with? Good complementary marketing move.

all I can say is in 2016 the founder of Dogfish took over Nick Benz's position of CEO and I think we now know why, he probably left because of this deal was in the works

I'm looking forward to this venture. I think both of these breweries make fine ales. If it puts them both in a place to better compete, I'm all for it.

Back