Sam 76 Lager and IPA Blend

Vesparados

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
We tried the Sam Adams 76 when it came out a couple of months ago. I read on their website that it was a blend of IPA and lager. Is this a common practice? I am a newbie, and thought that this would help my less than perfect batch (i.e. my first original recipe, AKA Heavy Attack). I cut the Heavy with one third Bud, and it was pretty damn good. I am interested in finding out if I have blasphemed or saved an otherwise, "not so horrible batch". What are your thoughts?
Thanks, and Cheers!

I tried Sam '76 and it's not a bad beer, nothing great, but decent. It doesn't taste like an IPA/lager blend, to me it was a cream ale with a mild Citra flavor. Light and refreshing.

As far as blending, I blaspheme all the time. I blend my Kolsch with a commercial IPA and you can dial it to anything from hoppy Kolsch to a pale ale, it's awesome. I also won awards blending a pilsner with a dunkel to come up with a Vienna lager. Blending is a great way to explore the wonderful world of beer!

Blend away. I have a very old Belgian that was brewed with to complicated of a malt bill. Blended with a clean lager thins it out to a very palatable beer.

Back