Rookie Mistakes... Need Advice

While Starsan is non toxic when diluted at the normal rate, you can't be sure that drinking large quantities isn't harmful. Be careful and drink some beer between the shots of sanitizer.

I'm legit curious to see how this turns out.

Oof...you may be headed down a rabbit hole with this batch. :rolleyes:
That's how I felt until I checked the PH last night and it got up to 4.19 which, needless to say, made me breathe a sigh of relief. I'm going to test another sample this afternoon to see if it raises any more. I tried some of it yesterday and it tasted like a flat, but hoppy ale so I'm excited to carbonate it and try it this weekend. I have access to bottles of Co2 and 1/6 bbl kegs so I'm planning on force carbonating once the temp of the beer falls to about 34 F. I'll pour my first pint and post a pic to show the final result. By the way, I ended up brewing a black IPA 2 days ago too. This time I made sure to let the temp drop and DILUTE the star-san lol.
20181011_064112.jpg

That's how I felt until I checked the PH last night and it got up to 4.19 which, needless to say, made me breathe a sigh of relief
Changing the PH isn't a problem. Any number of ways to raise it with additions in the kettle or fermenter.
But what did it do to the flavor of the beer? And when an acid and a base are combined it produces a salt. In this case it's sodium phosphate. That's a common "artificial" food additive and shouldn't be a problem in small amounts. Don't know how much you've produced but starting with as much as a few gallons worth of Star San it's probably not insignificant.
Here's what WebMD has to say about it:
"Sodium phosphate is a saline laxative that is thought to work by increasing fluid in the small intestine. It usually results in a bowel movement after 30 minutes to 6 hours."
I'd start slow if I was you. :D :D :D

Changing the PH isn't a problem. Any number of ways to raise it with additions in the kettle or fermenter.
But what did it do to the flavor of the beer? And when an acid and a base are combined it produces a salt. In this case it's sodium phosphate. That's a common "artificial" food additive and shouldn't be a problem in small amounts. Don't know how much you've produced but starting with as much as a few gallons worth of Star San it's probably not insignificant.
Here's what WebMD has to say about it:
"Sodium phosphate is a saline laxative that is thought to work by increasing fluid in the small intestine. It usually results in a bowel movement after 30 minutes to 6 hours."
I'd start slow if I was you. :D :D :D
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D I'll drink a pint, wait an hour, and if I'm not chasing John then I'll assume I'm good to go. Worse case scenario, I just created the first beer that helps you lose weight lmao.

Good morning/evening everyone,
So I'm not sure what your views are, but in my opinion, drinking a beer at 830am is not alcoholism if it's your beer... Kind of like the Peanut butter scenario from Road Trip :p. With that said, It's been almost 2 weeks since brewing my first all grain batch and I didn't exactly make it easy on myself. I learned some valuable lessons and thanks to you all, I was able to salvage what might have been a dumper, and turn it into a pretty good West Coast Session. I force carbonated it this morning and placed it in my kegerator. Waited about 45 minutes and poured my first pint. The Co2 was a little higher than I wanted, so the head came out a little much, but for the most part, it came out looking pretty normal. As for flavor, it is damn hoppy and pretty flavorful. It's not acidic, and I'm not racing for the throne yet, which is good. I'll let you all know 6 hours from now :D:D. It does have a tiny bit of sediment in it, which I'll have to filter out next time, but it's not enough to ruin it. I want to thank you all for your help and advice. I wish I could pour you all a real pint, but I can't so this virtual one will have to do.
20181013_092014 (1).jpg

I wish I could pour you all a real pint, but I can't so this virtual one will have to do.
Thanks anyway, but I'll be happy to leave it to my imagination. :D :D :D

Awesome stuff beer Greek a great example that it take alot to ruin beer! That seddiment will settle out after a week or two in the keg no worries.
I'm glad it wasnt a dumper Cheers!

i'm stoked its turned out good and you persevered with it rather than dump it!
one of my favourite threads. thanks and cheers!

Back