Recipe Request

nflamedrash

Premium Member
Reaction score
I am not normally a dark beer brewer (although I do like stouts and dark beers very much); am I am currently looking for an All Grain 'Guinness Draught' style recipe. I do not have a Nitrogen setup so I am going for a close approximation at best. Any suggestions?

Nitrogen is primarily aesthetic, secondarily for flavor - it's neutral while CO2 provides some tartness. I finally got my Guinness-style good by grinding the black malt to flour before mashing. Another key that makes it a bit more "Guinnessy" is adding a bit of lactic acid at bottling to up the tartness a bit, giving an impression of more dryness.

The question I have for those with Guinness recipes is does this taste like Guinness you get here or Guinness you'd get in County Cork? Cuz they are way, way, different.

Nosybears description is accurate and read the link to the electric brewery, he has a very good write up on the topic, the Guinness isn't really a normal stout, Im not saying its bad, its very good but there is a difference in theirs and the actual stout guidelines

Right, the difference between "stout" and "Guinness" is understood. But my question was which Guinness is being cloned?

I had tried several Guinness here in the states and couldn't figure out what anyone liked about it. To me it tasted like the rinse water from a dirty coffee pot. Then I went to Ireland. Talk about daylight and dark. Guinness draft in Ireland bears no resemblance (except maybe for color) beyond name to what is served in USA.

So, which is the clone going to taste like?

Once again I am glad I asked the question. Thank you everyone for the responses offered.

I have not had the opportunity to visit Ireland but I do enjoy the Guinness here in the US. Maybe once/if I try the native version I will feel the same as Wolfie.

Nosy - Thank you, talk about learning something new. I did some reading on Nitrogen systems and found that the beer is first lightly carbonated with CO2 then served with nitrogen mixed beer gas; which as you pointed out is mostly aesthetics. One last question, did you add the black malt flour at the beginning or end of the mash?

I mashed the black malt flour with the other grains, nothing fancy, just a single-infusion. The end result of my recipe is far more like the UK version of Guinness than the American version. Of course, I'm relying on memory for that and don't have the privilege of having a UK Guinness to test against.

Back