Quick fermentation

Aub

Premium Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
Just brewed an Irish Red Ale OG 1.052 using WLP 004 Irish Ale yeast with a 1.5 Lt starter .........36 hours later it's at 1.013, that's seriously fast !
Anyone used this yeast, is this normal ?

Haven't used that one but a lot of yeasts will barrel through like that. An .052 beer isn't particularly high gravity so I'd expect it to go fairly quickly. Your starter guaranteed that there was a lot of yeast to do the work. Temp makes a huge difference, too. Relatively warm ferm temp?

Haven't used that one but a lot of yeasts will barrel through like that. An .052 beer isn't particularly high gravity so I'd expect it to go fairly quickly. Your starter guaranteed that there was a lot of yeast to do the work. Temp makes a huge difference, too. Relatively warm ferm temp?
Ferm temp was 19 c, recommended range is 18 - 20 c. Seems to be all done at 1.012 so I've upped the temp to 21c and will let it for 4 or 5 days.

That ^^^^ seems perfect!
Good, strong pitch... quick clean fermentation. That's the way it's supposed to go.
Nice work! :)

That ^^^^ seems perfect!
Good, strong pitch... quick clean fermentation. That's the way it's supposed to go.
Nice work! :)
Thanks,It would be nice if it always went like that...........but then we'd probably get bored.

Back