Question about high color pale malt

Sunfire96

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Hello all!

I'm purchasing base grain from my LHBS and was interested in the Great Western high color pale malt (3L). According to the HBS website, it should fully convert itself and adjuncts (up to 20%):
"GW Northwest Pale Malt contributes a light golden color and high extract potential (~80%). Use this malt exclusively for a light and clean SMASH beer or as little as 20% for diastatic power in adjunct heavy recipes"

But when I use it in the recipe calculator, the DP is listed too low for conversion (grain bill copied below). I feel like I've seen other brewers have this problem when using Vienna as the base malt, or something similar.

Do you think this recipe will convert as is? Or any other recipes using this malt, as long as the adjuncts are below 20%?
upload_2021-1-2_6-14-19.png

Thanks!

Hello all!

I'm purchasing base grain from my LHBS and was interested in the Great Western high color pale malt (3L). According to the HBS website, it should fully convert itself and adjuncts (up to 20%):
"GW Northwest Pale Malt contributes a light golden color and high extract potential (~80%). Use this malt exclusively for a light and clean SMASH beer or as little as 20% for diastatic power in adjunct heavy recipes"

But when I use it in the recipe calculator, the DP is listed too low for conversion (grain bill copied below). I feel like I've seen other brewers have this problem when using Vienna as the base malt, or something similar.

Do you think this recipe will convert as is? Or any other recipes using this malt, as long as the adjuncts are below 20%?
View attachment 13481

Thanks!
Looks like a tasty recipe BTW! I could see myself making something like this!

Looks like a tasty recipe BTW! I could see myself making something like this!
Thanks! The main goal was to build up some S05 slurry for upcoming brews (hence the 1 gal batch size), so I wanted something fairly simple. I like to think of it as being built like a steam beer, but fermented like an ale. It's riding that pale/amber line

I've never heard of it, I'm curious to see how it goes for you.

Thanks! The main goal was to build up some S05 slurry for upcoming brews (hence the 1 gal batch size), so I wanted something fairly simple. I like to think of it as being built like a steam beer, but fermented like an ale. It's riding that pale/amber line
Nice way to build a slurry!

Back