Preventing trub from getting to the primary

I used to try to point out that trub is yeast but it seems to have entered the homebrew vernacular as anything that's not clear wort at any stage of the process.
And I transfer it all to the fermenter so I don't worry about it, anyway. :)

I used to try to point out that trub is yeast but it seems to have entered the homebrew vernacular as anything that's not clear wort at any stage of the process.
And I transfer it all to the fermenter so I don't worry about it, anyway. :)
Now I'd like to know your thoughts on the yeast floccing out after fermentation and forming a layer between the beer and trub I recon it reduces that risk of off flavours. Autolysis I think it's called. What's your thoughts on this JA?

My reasoning is that this yeast layer sorta shields the beer from any negative impacts the trub may have on the beer. Therefore giving me the peace of mind that in 5-7 days time into fermentation that ugly trub is going to be covered in a layer of protective yeast so why bother trying to screen it out in the first place?

Sorry to butt in here #trialben, but I thought autolysis was yeast death. Isn't that only a danger if you leave your fv for too long, like months?

If you give whirlpooling a shot without a ported kettle, one option would be to use an auto-siphon. You can get larger sizes that move along pretty quickly.
Honestly, imo? Keeping trub outta the fermentor in my experiences ain't worth the hassle. Of course the benefit of homebrewing is that the brewer has all the options they choose to imploy or not, at their disposal. Me? I dump the whole lot into the fermentor.

Honestly, imo? Keeping trub outta the fermentor in my experiences ain't worth the hassle. Of course the benefit of homebrewing is that the brewer has all the options they choose to imploy or not, at their disposal. Me? I dump the whole lot into the fermentor.

I agree, but then again, I have all of 20 brew sessions under my belt. My wife was the one who pointed out to me (with regards to hop debris), why use the hop spider when we can use the same filter when transferring between the BK (after cooled to fermenting temp) and the Fermenter. We catch all the debris, hops and all of the wort this way.

Attachments

• xfer.JPG
    xfer.JPG
    912.5 KB · Views: 102
My reasoning is that this yeast layer sorta shields the beer from any negative impacts the trub may have on the beer.
Again, trub is yeast. The layer of stuff at the bottom of the kettle - or fermenter if you've transferred it - is protein break material and hop sludge, if you haven't used a hop bag. What happens during fermentation is that the action of yeast producing tons of CO2 makes the clumps of yeast rise and fall as the bubbles form and get released. You get the lava-lamp effect during high krausen with the protein break material being swirled up and down in the "currents". When things start to settle down, the heavy, lumpy protein material along with a few dead yeast bodies starts to fall out. It settles to the bottom while the yeast is still in suspension. The live yeast finally gets done with the sugars and starts to settle out. That's where you get the layering. Yes the yeast (trub) sits between the beer and the break material, but that has little to do with autolysis. If the beer were to age for a long time just like that, it's the yeast layer itself that would cause autolysis off flavors. The truth is, though that at homebrew volumes, autolysis off flavor is rare enough as to be mythical. I'd worry about it in a big stout that you decided to age in primary for 6 months, but that's not the common practice. In the 2-3 weeks time frame that we usually use, it's not an issue. I guess if you did a lager and never transferred and stored cold for months in the primary with all the trub (and the protein break material underneath it) you could develop some off-flavors.

Just call all of it sediment and be done with it.
Yep. We're into semantics at this point. So can we settle on this: Trub is the gunk left at the bottom of the fermentor when fermentation is finished. It'll consist of anything you put into the fermentor (hop debris, bits of grain, hot and cold break material) as well as anything generated during fermentation (dry hop bits, yeast, braunhefe, dead yeast cells, spent spices, etc.). That's always been the definition I've heard. And I agree, using the German word for "cloudy" or "murky" only muddies the water, to mix a metaphor. So let's settle on sediment. I second.

Reactions: J A
Yep trub/sediment it seems safe to say its ok in fermentation vessal.

That's been my go-to. ;) And when repitching I tend to call it cake if it's the whole mess and slurry if I've done anything to separate the yeast form the rest of the gunk. I don't use the word trub much. And don't even get me started on pronunciation...traditionalists insist on calling it "troob" where as most homebrewers, non-German speakers, at least, tend to go with the more phonetic way of saying it. :)

Yep. We're into semantics at this point. So can we settle on this: Trub is the gunk left at the bottom of the fermentor when fermentation is finished. It'll consist of anything you put into the fermentor (hop debris, bits of grain, hot and cold break material) as well as anything generated during fermentation (dry hop bits, yeast, braunhefe, dead yeast cells, spent spices, etc.). That's always been the definition I've heard. And I agree, using the German word for "cloudy" or "murky" only muddies the water, to mix a metaphor. So let's settle on sediment. I second.
Semantic arguments are so fun. :rolleyes:

I’ve always referred to any sediment in beer as trub, whether it’s pre or post fermentation. I’ll probably continue to do so.

Someone who cares ought to fix this Wiki definition.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trub_(brewing)

As long as we agree it's any gunk left behind after fermentation.... Trub, sediment, gunk, they all work.

I'm too cheap to waste good wort. I keep the hop debris out with screens and bags; otherwise, if it was in my kettle, it goes into the fermentor.

I’ve always referred to any sediment in beer as trub, whether it’s pre or post fermentation. I’ll probably continue to do so.
Do so at your own risk...We'll judge you very harshly for it. :p:D

Whatever makes you happy.

I think you know I was being facetious. :)

Quick question can you use the slurry/trub/gunk as it is as yeast for the next brew? I know that it is actually no longer the pitched amount of cells, but many more...no idea how many more though...
I use hop bags, but would the protiens in the stg (slurry/trub/gunk;)) affect the new brew or is basically inert and flavourless?

Quick question can you use the slurry/trub/gunk as it is as yeast for the next brew?
I do it all the time. Yes, it's an over-pitch but that won't hurt most beers. Most often, I'll brew a relatively low-gravity beer, rack off when it's through primary and put a new batch of higher OG beer right on top of the cake. You better have a big fermenting vessel and have a blow-off tube at the ready, though because it'll take off like a rocket and krausen like crazy. Pitch a little cooler than you might otherwise an you can control the vigor of the fermentation.

Back