Porter all grain low gravity

Tell you the truth fellas I've never gone much past a pale ale when all grain maybe my maltiest brew is my Octoberfest I'm drinking ATM. Porters stouts barley wines are an unexplored world to me:) I'll have to brew one up maybe the other side of summer:D.
I'm going to stay more consistent to easier beer styles until I can brew right haha. The only reason I brewed porter is I was craving one and went and bought the supplies.

I'm going to stay more consistent to easier beer styles until I can brew right haha. The only reason I brewed porter is I was craving one and went and bought the supplies.
Hay brew what ya love to drink mate that's the beauty about home brewing you can brew what you want and make it how you like it. Remember only dead fish go with the flow ha ha:confused:.

Plus not that I can vouch for it but the less crystal malts and roast malts you use in a brew the less things for off flavours to hide behind. Take a Pilsner for example just Pilsner malt and usually one hop type sazz in brew so now mistakes on this s brew. I think it's the classic styles that are hard to achieve in brewing everything's gotta be spot on.

Hay brew what ya love to drink mate that's the beauty about home brewing you can brew what you want and make it how you like it. Remember only dead fish go with the flow ha ha:confused:.

Plus not that I can vouch for it but the less crystal malts and roast malts you use in a brew the less things for off flavours to hide behind. Take a Pilsner for example just Pilsner malt and usually one hop type sazz in brew so now mistakes on this s brew. I think it's the classic styles that are hard to achieve in brewing everything's gotta be spot on.
Very true. The first beer I brewed was a simple barley, wheat combo with warrior hops and continentals and it turned out descent. I used bread yeast for that one which everyone says is a huge no-no. Funny though, I brewed it on the 12 of Sept. And bottled it on 16th of September. Super fast ferment. Roughly 5% abv.

Wow that is super quick:p. In fermentation tests ale yeast and read yeast perform pretty much the same. As per breukiser website on knowing when attenuation should be finished he recommends take a little flask of the same wort you'll be fermenting and pitch some yeast in that as well as your main batch the attenuation on the flask should represent attention in main batch.
Very true. The first beer I brewed was a simple barley, wheat combo with warrior hops and continentals and it turned out descent. I used bread yeast for that one which everyone says is a huge no-no. Funny though, I brewed it on the 12 of Sept. And bottled it on 16th of September. Super fast ferment. Roughly 5% abv.

Wow that is super quick:p. In fermentation tests ale yeast and read yeast perform pretty much the same. As per breukiser website on knowing when attenuation should be finished he recommends take a little flask of the same wort you'll be fermenting and pitch some yeast in that as well as your main batch the attenuation on the flask should represent attention in main batch.
That's interesting. May use that test in the future.

I haven't done this there Davis but on the lager front where attenuation may take its time it gives you a decent indicator of when FG I likely

So its fermented down to 1.015 and way bitter. Added 2 cups of molasses to bring it up to 1.026 but I'm getting the abv at 3.88. So can't quit now. I'll just add sugar until it gets to a decent abv and the cut off fermentation and keg. Plus it will give me a chance to try out the keg I was given. It's one of the plastic ones 5 gallons so it will be interesting trying it out.

Why are you adding the molasses now Davis I thought you would of added that in with the boil mate then let the yeast do their thing?

The yeast will chew up the sugar again unless you taste it when it's right cold crash the yeast out gelitin the yeast out and keg er up I've never stalled fermentation but if you have a freezer drop her to your American cold crash temps what's that 35f

May just accept the bitterness and move on. Molasses should give it better flavor anyway
Hay fortune favours the bold Davis and nothing ventured nothing gained how do we achieve more out of craft beer if we don't push the conventional boundaries :D

Hay fortune favours the bold Davis and nothing ventured nothing gained how do we achieve more out of craft beer if we don't push the conventional boundaries :D
Well said, sir. I'm starting a 3.5 gallon blue moon clone tonight anyway so all I good! I'll let you know the progress of the porter. Thanks for the advice everyone.

Blue moon clone eh? What's ya ingredients for this brew if you don't mind me asking?
Well said, sir. I'm starting a 3.5 gallon blue moon clone tonight anyway so all I good! I'll let you know the progress of the porter. Thanks for the advice everyone.

Be wary of too much molasses , it contains iron and can impart a metallic taste to beer or just make it tastes like cheap rum after passing through a Pirates kidneys

If I want a sugar to provide flavor, I always make a syrup, boil it and add it to secondary. That goes for honey, agave, turbinado, brown sugar and yes, molasses. If I just want dryness, adding it to the boil is fine, although I'll generally add simple sugars once fermentation has been going for a couple days.

Blue moon clone eh? What's ya ingredients for this brew if you don't mind me asking?
I did a 6 pound grain batch. Brew store had limited supply of what I needed so made it work. 3 pounds American carapils 2 row, 2 pounds German wheat, and one pound Canada honey malt, also 1 pound of flaked oats. Added hallertau hops .6 oz. At 60 min. Added orange peel that I sent through a cheese grater and squeezed the remaining juice in at 10 min. And a little coriander. I ground it and didn't measure how much but it was an okay amount. I added some more orange peel after the boil because it didn't taste of orange as much as I wanted.

Porter tastes great. It's on its way to carbonating well also. Blue moon clone same way. Very close to blue moon. Mybe better.
Mmm yum I want some:p. That's what I love about Homebrewing find a brew you like and make It better.

Back