Plans for a simple kegerator?

mechamaniaboy

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hello all

Does anybody have some simple plans for a cheaply made and reliable kegerator that they'd like to share? I'm thinking about building one but admit to not knowing what's required. Any and all (relevant!) advice gratefully received.

Reliable is entirely dependent on the motor of the unit really. How many kegs do you want to store in it? How much space do you have to work with? It can be very simple or very complicated so a bit more information is helpful.

I scored an old ice cream freezer for $50 for mine, but it had no lid so I had to build one. Whereas I have friends with mini fridges that can only fit 2 kegs but they just drilled a hole in the top and ran lines.

Pretty much a refrigerator or chest freezer that will fit the number of kegs you want and a little extra space for a CO2 tank and plumbing. If you get a chest freezer be sure the top is solid enough to support a tower. Once you have the cooling unit shop for a kit to convert it. A tower setup for a chest freezer with the number of faucets you want or a kit for a fridge. Many of the cheaper kits come with picnic taps. You can go that way and upgrade later if cost is a big factor. If you do, be aware that you will need to open the fridge to serve beer.

I see some supply stores here in aus make ready made kegerators for under $500 would be something simillar in America.

A lot of mini-fridges will work but you have to alter the insides. Many can fit 2 kegs after removing some of the shelf-bracket molding to make it just a little wider inside. With the smaller fridge, you can (very carefully) run hoses through the top and add a tap tower. Easiest way is with a full-size fridge running taps through the door using faucet shanks so that the taps can be mounted directly on the door.

Hello all

Does anybody have some simple plans for a cheaply made and reliable kegerator that they'd like to share? I'm thinking about building one but admit to not knowing what's required. Any and all (relevant!) advice gratefully received.

I recommend a Keezer build. Easy to find a used one for less than a hundred dollars and convert pretty simply. Start with one tap and slowly add long the way. It would end up costing between 200.00 - 300.00 with room to grow. Much cheaper than a pre-made kegarator. I wish I had gone that route ages ago. And it would be a fun project. I'll post a link to a temp. controller you'll need.

Reactions: J A
Inkbird sells the ITC-1000 for about the same price and it is in F

Have a look at this for a keezer

I like them made from a refrigerator for home use. At the shop, i have converted freezers.
At home, I don't have a need for more than 4-1/6th barrels at any time. I also like having the extra freezer space. The build only requires you to drill a hole in the door and remove the shelves. With the door open, it's really easy to get kegs in and out and cleaning is a breeze.
At the shop, I need more room for storage and can fit 13 1/6th barrels in 1 chest freezer. The build requires you to remove the lid, install a collar, replace the lid and add a temp controller. This is also a pain in the ass to clean because the raised collar makes it difficult to reach in and clean up the inevitable spills. You also have to lift the kegs above the collar to get them in and out. This is a young mans game! There is also a pretty large temperature swing from the top to the bottom.
All that being said, I have both and for different needs and uses.
Figure out what your needs are and either will serve you well.
Good Luck,
Brian

I like them made from a refrigerator for home use. At the shop, i have converted freezers.
At home, I don't have a need for more than 4-1/6th barrels at any time. I also like having the extra freezer space. The build only requires you to drill a hole in the door and remove the shelves. With the door open, it's really easy to get kegs in and out and cleaning is a breeze.
At the shop, I need more room for storage and can fit 13 1/6th barrels in 1 chest freezer. The build requires you to remove the lid, install a collar, replace the lid and add a temp controller. This is also a pain in the ass to clean because the raised collar makes it difficult to reach in and clean up the inevitable spills. You also have to lift the kegs above the collar to get them in and out. This is a young mans game! There is also a pretty large temperature swing from the top to the bottom.
All that being said, I have both and for different needs and uses.
Figure out what your needs are and either will serve you well.
Good Luck,
Brian
Good to know what I'm in for! Lol.

Back