Pilsner fermenting temp question

Irish Beers

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hi there folks,

I have been making the Muntons Bavarian Pilsner with added grains and fermenting it in fridge at 11.2degc with the bottom fermenting yeast that came in kit. After 3 weeks the gravity is down to 1019 (started at 1054 16L) ..so following J Palmers logic I have turned up temp to 17 deg for 2 days diacetal rest... checked the gravity and it is 1018 ...now it is 3 days at the 17 temp as seems to be to high FG . The kit saying 1015 finishing but of course I added 3 kg pilsner grains ...

question is do I bottle it now or continue at 17degc another few days to get gravity reduced (if it drops anymore that is) ...I think I should bottle tonight ..as is day 3 at 17degc and perhaps that may spoil the concept of the pilsner ...

any thoughts please.......of course I shall lager it when the 2nd ferment in bottle is complete also.

Thanks
Tony Martin

It'll take more than 2-3 days...3 weeks is long enough for the yeast to slow down and start dropping out. Give the vessel a little swirl and leave it for a few more days. And I'd bring the temp all the way up to 20C.

Many thanks JA ..I shall do that and check friday/sat on readings

Reactions: J A

Back