Pale Ale Malts

I_playdrums

Trial Member
Reaction score
I am searching for color alternatives to all the cara additions that are so common for APA. Looked at chocolate and even some roasted options, but have yet to nail it down. I don't care for crystals higher than 60L. Thoughts?

I doubt that you'll want to use Chocolate or dark roasted malts, but I've used Belgian Special Roast or even Special B in very small amounts. Victory, up to 3-4%, is one that will add color without getting in the way - nutty/toasty/grainy flavors. And a solid percentage of Munich and/or a small percentage of Dark Munich or a touch of CaraMunich can add color maltiness without getting sweet or cloying.
I don't know how dark you want to go, but I got a nice looking 7.5 SRM beer with 10% Munich, 2-3 % Victory and 1 percent each of Caramunich and Special Roast. Great coppery/amber color and very clean, balanced malt body with no excess sweetness.

Maris Otter, Vienna and Munich ( the light version from Weyermann ) are all great base malts for pretty much anything, except belgians. They will drive the colour higher up than regular Pilsner and 2-row.

I like Maris Otter and Vienna. Munich is OK, but not my cup of tea, although it works great in darker styled beers.

If you want crystal malts to use in APA, but much lower in Lovibond and strong crystal malt flavours, I recommend GNO ( Golden Naked Oats from Simpsons ), CaraBelge, CaraRed and Abbey malts ( all 3 from Weyermann ). All 4 can be used up to 10% without any issues and some of them, depending on your taste, even more than that.

I usually have CaraBelge, CaraRed and Abbey on hand just to use on lower ABV hoppy beers.

I personally like Munich, caramunich, honey, victory, Vienna for pale ale back flavors, it really depends on the hops if hops are sweet or floral or earthy, you want to match the grain flavor to the hop

What about steeped midnight wheat type malt. Or that dehusked carafa malt i hear abouy but havent used. If you only want colour but no flavour this may work. Or there is that weyerman sinamar i think its called for darkening them Schwartz brews.

Back