Ordinary bitter

Ready for crimping
This.
IMG_20221020_100838.jpg

You don't crimp immediately after filling each one? Interesting.

When I used to bottle, I did 12 at a time.
Kind of broke it up and cleared off the counter

Huh. Learned something new. I've always done them one at a time.

Then again, I keg. Bottles are only for competitions and mailing to friends.

I'm a 4 banger kinda guy..it's what fits on the edge of the dishwasher and in the pie pan I use to hold bottles while capping...the antique thing slows me up a bit....

I always did 6 at a time. But with kegging, i use a counter pressure filler and cap each one right away

I do an arbitrary number. Sometimes all just get a cap but not crimped. Sometimes not all. Depending on space.
Glad to see I'm not the only one using the simple red capper

Red cappers rock!
View attachment 22783
And step one is here in the dishwasher with the bottling bucket up on the counter.
View attachment 22785
I can also take those 4 bottles pretty easily in one trip over to the table for capping, you get a rhythm going.
I have both a fancy upright Italian capper and a couple if Red cappers...and I prefer the Red one, it just works better.

I have both a fancy upright Italian capper and a couple if Red cappers...and I prefer the Red one, it just works better.
It really does. I removed the bell on my red capper and installed it in the Italian one

Awesome, as I keep thinking I should get an upright one, so you saved me a lot of money with that comment:p

No, I put a cap on each one as I fill it then crimp them when all are filled.
That's what I do. I start with empties on the left, bottling bucket in the middle and filled & capped bottles on the right. Then I replace the bottling bucket with a bench capper and start crimping with everything going right to left.

I think I'd like the upright better on a higher countertop...it's still cool to use something as old as it is!

I bottle directly from my fermenter, using a bottling wand. Since there isn’t any need to rush in order to avoid oxidation, I cap and crimp, one bottle at a time. After my last bottling, where I thought my oral syringe was dead, I figured out that the plunger rubber needed a little shave. After giving that rubber a little shave, I found that all is right in the world. So my next batch will be properly dosed, per bottle, then filled, capped and crimped as I go.

I go with the "fill and lay a cap on each and all" method, then crimp the batch. I sit in a chair and fill over the dishwasher with the door open to catch drips. I don't want to keep getting up and down to switch from one job to the other.

I picked up some plastic Pop Shop bottle crates at a yard sale a few years ago. It makes for a stable place to set the newly-filled bottles before I crimp them.

ip-popshoppe-crate-1024x341.jpg

Last edited:

Back