Opp's!

Vallka

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Brewed a MilkShake NEIPA the other day and just realized I forgot to add the .25kg (.5lb) of cane sugar!!
Yeast is working like crazy right now......don't want to just add sugar and to lazy to boil water, cool and add so thinking of adding some honey right to the primary..............any thoughts? ..........can't hurt :)

It'll be fine to add during ferment.

I'd pasteurize it before adding. Dilute 50/50 with water, heat to 170 degrees, hold there for 10 minutes. Then add to primary.

Dump in the table sugar...It'll be fine. If you're concerned about sanitation, open a new bag. Honey is more likely to have wild yeasts but I've dumped honey directly into primary fermentation, too, with no problem.

adding simple sugars mid ferment might cause yeast chew up simple sugars instead of the more complex maltose id add as yeast are slowing down. just my theoretical 2c:).

T-Ben is right but once the beer has krausened and it's been going for a couple of days, it's probably well on it's way to getting through the other fermentables, anyway. I usually use sugar (or honey or candi-sugar) with yeasts that I want to rouse for better attenuation and will wait until fermentation is starting to settle or slow down a little.

Agreed. Table sugar you can dump. I'm just a paranoid, I'd still make a syrup and in this case, since I'm not boiling off any flavor or aroma, boil it.

I just dumped in 8oz of honey ......live and learn

Just make sure you mix whatever you want to microwave, I didn't mix the glycerin and water before I tried to bank yeast and I sprayed water all over the inside of the microwave. Then the yeast bank wouldn't freeze. Funny that.

Back