One more please American stout

Ok, I think I have it settled on a 90% solution.
Links in previous post should take you to update recipe

this first run I am going to only add 1/2 pound of coffee,medium roast, probably something local.
I actually like the way this is leaning. Not sure if I will enter it in Category 30a (S,H,V) or 20b (American Stout)

Thank you all for such thoughtful input,and please feel to offer more, it will be taken seriously.

Tim
Tropical stout.
Or what's that other one Cascadian Dark Ale or Stout?
Looks like Stout to me nothing fancy that should go well in competition I think.

Tropical stout.
Or what's that other one Cascadian Dark Ale or Stout?
Looks like Stout to me nothing fancy that should go well in competition I think.
Cascadian Dark Ale is a northwest Black IPA

label.png

label Idea

This morning we are down to 1.005.....but have dropped to 53f so I hope that stalls it
There is a chance that my iSpindel is not calibrated,I hope that is part of it, I will pull a hydro sample today and see

I'm curious as to why. What difference are you expecting from bumping the mash temp up 3°F?
Maybe a higher dextrous mash? Won't ferm out as far

But 3°? Is that enough to make an obvious impact? I'm skeptical.

I could see there being a noticeable attenuation difference from 148 to 156. Not so sure there would be anything apparent between 150 and 153 though. Just my opinion.

But 3°? Is that enough to make an obvious impact? I'm skeptical.

I could see there being a noticeable attenuation difference from 148 to 156. Not so sure there would be anything apparent between 150 and 153 though. Just my opinion.
No idea, was just spitballing. If it is higher, it would have to make some measurable difference I would think.

My last stout I made, i didn't watch the temp closely enough. I usually mash at 147F, it went to about 153F. FG was 1.018 vs 1.015-1.016 for the last few. Obviously not conclusive, lots of variables.

I got you and I understand what you're saying.

I guess my point is that I don't think I could tell the difference in the finished beer by a few gravity points. The OP's Stout just finished at 1.014. If he brews it again and it finishes at 16 or 17...will it matter to the drinker? I don't know, but I'm skeptical. Very skeptical. At the very least, I personally don't think I would be able to tell a difference. YMMV.

Interesting discussion though.

Yeah. small steps while I dial the beer in, I usually mash at 154, and I might do that next time...do not want to make major adjustments, but I wanted just a bit "sweeter"

Tim

I got you and I understand what you're saying.

I guess my point is that I don't think I could tell the difference in the finished beer by a few gravity points. The OP's Stout just finished at 1.014. If he brews it again and it finishes at 16 or 17...will it matter to the drinker? I don't know, but I'm skeptical. Very skeptical. At the very least, I personally don't think I would be able to tell a difference. YMMV.

Interesting discussion though.
It would only matter to my OCD. most likely couldn't tell the difference

Back