One more please American stout

Check your link. Nothing there.

A pound?!? Ground?

I put 2-4 oz in mine and it has some serious coffee flavor. mine goes in the fermenter though.

What's your reason for splitting the base malt between pale and MO instead of just one? Citra and Amarillo are pretty citrus forward for a dark beer, espei a coffee beer...unless that's what you're going for. Any reason you're adding the baking soda? Is your pH too low?

1.What's your reason for splitting the base malt between pale and MO instead of just one? No reason, just what I have always done if I had to pick one, I would just use Pale

2. Citra and Amarillo are pretty citrus forward for a dark beer, espei a coffee beer...unless that's what you're going for. Citra might be a stretch, but I thought the Amarillo would pair with the coffee/choco flavors

3. Any reason you're adding the baking soda? Is your pH too low? it was for HCO3 Took that out mis-read the water calc, it was late, I was tired..

See above

What follows is my opinion only!!

Why use MO in an "American Stout"? I'd go all American 2-Row. I would normally object to the crystal, but I can see some sweetness being a nice balance to the roast and the coffee. However, without flaked barley, you aren't making a Stout. Maybe this is just semantics, but the current grain bill looks more like an English Coffee Porter. (actually, that sounds delicious. :) )

And I agree with @Sunfire96 - I'd also not use those citrusy finishing hops as I think they would certainly clash with a Coffee Stout. Willamette would be my choice, or Cascade if you want. EKG if you change the name. :p

Also, Notty is a fine choice, but for me, an American Stout uses an American ale yeast. How about BRY-97 or US-05?.

Honestly though, don't mind me. I'm a bit bull-headed when it comes to Stouts. You should brew it the way you want.

Good luck! Keep us posted.

What follows is my opinion only!!

Why use MO in an "American Stout"? I'd go all American 2-Row. I would normally object to the crystal, but I can see some sweetness being a nice balance to the roast and the coffee. However, without flaked barley, you aren't making a Stout. Maybe this is just semantics, but the current grain bill looks more like an English Coffee Porter. (actually, that sounds delicious. :) )

And I agree with @Sunfire96 - I'd also not use those citrusy finishing hops as I think they would certainly clash with a Coffee Stout. Willamette would be my choice, or Cascade if you want. EKG if you change the name. :p

Also, Notty is a fine choice, but for me, an American Stout uses an American ale yeast. How about BRY-97 or US-05?.

Honestly though, don't mind me. I'm a bit bull-headed when it comes to Stouts. You should brew it the way you want.

Good luck! Keep us posted.

Thank you for this post....

I am planning this as my first ever comp entry...so all your input is very welcome....give me a few days to rework.....and we will try it again

Question...only used them once but liked them El Dorado????
Or maybe Galena.....

Still bittering with Magnum, every Stout/Porter I have ever brewed starts with Magnum

EDIT: the flaked barley was in my notes, just didn't make it to the screen...again it was late

Last edited:
I like the updated recipe a lot better, even if I might double or even triple the amount of flaked barley. Still, it now looks like a Stout to me.

Magnum is a perfect bittering hop for sure. I pretty much only use Magnum to bitter, no matter the style.

If you need to include some finishing hops, and I don't see why that you do, ask yourself what aroma and flavor you want that will mesh with the coffee, roast, and chocolate. If fruit and citrus are what you're after, go for it. Again, that combination wouldn't jive with my tastes, but it's not my beer.

I'm sure it will be great whatever you decide. Good luck!

I like the updated recipe a lot better, even if I might double or even triple the amount of flaked barley. Still, it now looks like a Stout to me.

Magnum is a perfect bittering hop for sure. I pretty much only use Magnum to bitter, no matter the style.

If you need to include some finishing hops, and I don't see why that you do, ask yourself what aroma and flavor you want that will mesh with the coffee, roast, and chocolate. If fruit and citrus are what you're after, go for it. Again, that combination wouldn't jive with my tastes, but it's not my beer.

I'm sure it will be great whatever you decide. Good luck!

well, as I am not really brewing this for me...but as my first comp entry ever....brewing 10+ years and this is the first time I am not brewing for me, I am really unsure of what to do with the hops, I guess I can up the bittering a bit with the Magnum, and even finish with Magnum or Cascade.....

This is why I have never entered a comp, lol.....

well, as I am not really brewing this for me...but as my first comp entry ever....brewing 10+ years and this is the first time I am not brewing for me, I am really unsure of what to do with the hops, I guess I can up the bittering a bit with the Magnum, and even finish with Magnum or Cascade.....

This is why I have never entered a comp, lol.....
If you are using coffee, I would keep your hops bitterness in check. Aim for the lower end of the style, maybe 35 IBU's or so, and let the coffee do the rest.

Question...only used them once but liked them El Dorado????

I use El Dorado in a Tropical IPA where the pineapple aroma is fantastic. Don't think is would work in an American Stout. If you were brewing for yourself, I would say give it a try. But, since you are brewing for a competition, I wouldn't chance it.

Ok, I think I have it settled on a 90% solution.
Links in previous post should take you to update recipe

this first run I am going to only add 1/2 pound of coffee,medium roast, probably something local.
I actually like the way this is leaning. Not sure if I will enter it in Category 30a (S,H,V) or 20b (American Stout)

Thank you all for such thoughtful input,and please feel to offer more, it will be taken seriously.

Tim

Ok, I think I have it settled on a 90% solution.
Links in previous post should take you to update recipe

this first run I am going to only add 1/2 pound of coffee,medium roast, probably something local.
I actually like the way this is leaning. Not sure if I will enter it in Category 30a (S,H,V) or 20b (American Stout)

Thank you all for such thoughtful input,and please feel to offer more, it will be taken seriously.

Tim
That recipe looks solid to me.

Let us know how it all turns out. I'm very interested to hear how the coffee flavor survives the mash, boil and fermentation. I've only ever "dry beaned" with coffee and that aroma and flavor behaves very much like a dry hop...pretty intense at first and then mellows considerably over the course of a month.

Keep us updated.

It ads a bit of color, and a hint of flavor noting to crazy, but I will update after I brew

Back