One fridge for fermentation, kegging and storage.

Numbers! I want numbers!!

But really, I have the same thing going on in my chest freezer, but to a much lesser extent. The freezer runs more often than it would if I weren’t using a heat belt, even though the two never run at the same time.

When I only had one fridge I would pull the kegs and put them on ice in a ice chest while fermenting. PITA but it worked.

Numbers! I want numbers!!

But really, I have the same thing going on in my chest freezer, but to a much lesser extent. The freezer runs more often than it would if I weren’t using a heat belt, even though the two never run at the same time.
Open top freezer? Heat rises and would escape in that scenario, reducing the number of freezer cycles. Racking my brain, I can't see a way to make it work in a refrigerator without controlling the fridge instead of using a heat belt, then using the freezer for cold storage.

Because of the significantly lower temperature differential, the fridge/fermwrap set-up works far more effectively for a lager than an ale. I'm waiting to hear back from my son on more details of his set-up and experience with this set-up (he also lives in Austin).
Well, I heard back from my son. Apparently, he doesn't use the fridge for both fermenting and keeping other items cold (not very efficient or practical except maybe for fermenting lagers). When he ferments and the garage temperature is too warm, he dedicates the fridge during that time only to ferment the beer.

He said:

"I have an aquarium heater pad (which I guess is similar to a fermwrap, but probably not as good) which I have used a couple times in the past while fermenting during winter. I don't think I wrapped it in a blanket (maybe a towel, but nothing too heavy), although the winters aren't nearly as bad here."

"I also got a small ceramic space heater that I wanted to try just putting in the fridge to control the air temp instead, but I haven't brewed this winter, so I haven't tried it out yet."

"Since I'm usually doing an ale, the temperature in the fridge is usually too hot to keep things very cool. Maybe if you're lagering it's also cool enough to keep some bottles of beer cold as well. Regardless though, whenever I'm fermenting the freezer part of the fridge thaws out, so I can't use it to keep stuff frozen, and have to find room for that stuff in the kitchen freezer."​

Cheers!

I use an aquarium heater and a tub of water if I need to heat a batch (saisons, usually). Son's approach works for controlling the upper temperature of a fermentation. Generally you don't need to warm a fermentation, the yeast take care of that for you.

Open top freezer? Heat rises and would escape in that scenario, reducing the number of freezer cycles. Racking my brain, I can't see a way to make it work in a refrigerator without controlling the fridge instead of using a heat belt, then using the freezer for cold storage.
I don’t make a habit of opening the chest freezer. Not much opportunity for heat to escape.

Regardless, we are on the same page here. I agree it wouldn’t be a good idea to introduce heat into a fridge that’s also trying to keep other things cold. Reminds me of a joke, though.

A redneck notices that his coworker has a Thermos, so he asks him what it is. He responds, "It’s called a Thermos. It keeps hot things hot and cold things cold."

The redneck immediately buys one for himself. The next day, he goes to work and proudly displays it.

His coworker asks, "What do you have in it?"

He replies, "Chicken soup and ice cream." :D

Jeez. Never thought this would generate so much wisdom and info about fauna.

Still clueless on the squirrel reference; I usually think that refers to a distraction of some ...... Hey, look, a Double IPA!

I do use the ink-bird and really don't want to buy another fridge. Yes, if a chest freezer comes along, I'll score that because of the cold air heavier than warm air thing. The footprint in the garage is a whole other challenge.

Yes, the water, ice and fan thing is a PITA. Trying to avoid that. Right now I have an aging RIS in a 3 gallon carboy, a porter in a 5 gallon keg, a cream ale in a 3 gallon keg, and will soon brew the belgian. And...... 5 gallons of an American Brown ale from a club event. Too much beer? Nah!

Right now, temps are in the low 50's but occasionally a jump to the 70's. I refuse to submit to seasonal beer brewing. And that is most likely the problem.

Clarification on the squirrel reference: Metric squirrels. I don't know where the "squirrel" part comes from but in general use on this forum, it relates to the metric system

Someone here once mentioned a metric nut (as opposed to being SAE). Metric squirrels prefer metric nuts!

Ah well I can handle that. I do most everything in Metric so it never twigged.

Someone here once mentioned a metric nut (as opposed to being SAE). Metric squirrels prefer metric nuts!
You had to be there...:cool::D:D

Back