Omega's Gene-Edited Super-Fruity New Yeasts - Blog Article

Discussion in 'Brewer's Friend Announcements' started by Brewer's Friend Blog, May 14, 2021.

1. Brewer's Friend Blog

2. Mark Farrall

Mark Farrall Well-Known Member

Interesting article. Didn't notice on your first post, found my way via various searches.

I'd have to say the argument that these yeast aren't GMO because they only take away something is at least coy, if not disingenuous. You can screw things up badly through turning off expression of something as by turning it on. Though I'm sure the chances of screwing up anything 'badly' in turning off expression in brewing yeast is pretty remote, it's just that the argument can't be applied to all editing of genes. I suppose it's trying to say the the real risk is in adding new functionality, but again that's a case by case basis and we really do need a more mature response to risk/reward when it comes to GMOs.

I'd have no problem using either yeast personally because of the CRISPR angle, it's the flavour profiles turning me off. Though I can see that a lot of people would be excited. Hope it goes well for them.

Donoroto likes this.
  3. Blackmuse

Blackmuse Well-Known Member

Electrician (Previously a 6th grade Teacher)
    Home Page:
    I will admit - I saw this when it was first posted and ignored it! SORRY. It was totally a case of Bias on my part - sadly so. I figured it was a way for folks to amp up their Hazy/Fruity IPAs and I'm not a fan of those. That - and - my bias on gene-editing. However, I am really glad I managed to shame myself into reading it! The article was well written! I loved how it was broken down and how it managed to be very to-the-point - meaning the author didn't try and drag it out, get too into the weeds of the science etc. Also, I LOVE how Omega used BF to share a couple recipes! The stout sounds like something right up my Alley! I like how Keith gave several alternatives for ingredients and process! I will need to add the stout recipe to my long list of MUST BREWS.

Maybe I'll even give the Banaza a shot in a hefeweizen - I haven't done one in ages due to my lack of patience/luck/finesse with that particular yeast strain.

So glad I took a minute to push aside bias - something I always tell others they should try when reading the news (beyond the headline!).

To the Author: Excellent job with the article!

Mark Farrall, Sunfire96 and Donoroto like this.
  4. Brewer's Friend Blog

I agree that the yeasts are obviously GMO, but I think they are not what we (as consumers) typically think of as GMO in the food chain sense. In the case of scientists building a better tomato, for example, they've added content, not edited what was already in the tomato. I'm sure Laura would agree with all of that. I took what she said to mean that even if you have concerns about GMO generally, this product wouldn't raise the same concerns.

One of the downsides of writing an article is that I've necessarily edited and reduced what they all said and I don't want to leave the impression with you that they were weaseling about the GMO - if that came through, that is the writer's fault (me). I think they were trying to be nuanced and I wanted to give a sense of that without turning the article into being all about the public conversation about GMOs.

Donoroto and Sunfire96 like this.
  5. Brewer's Friend Blog

Thanks so much, I really appreciate it! It was fun to talk with Laura, Keith and Bianca and I learned a lot.

I never brew German wheat beers because of the clove (not my favorite), but I'm thinking of doing a stout with Bananza - a banana stout, leaning on the chocolate more than the roast maybe - sounds interesting.

Blackmuse and Sunfire96 like this.
  6. Blackmuse

Blackmuse Well-Known Member

Electrician (Previously a 6th grade Teacher)
    Home Page:
    I could jump on trying that! Let me know how it goes if you do it!

7. Mark Farrall

Mark Farrall Well-Known Member

Didn't mean for it to come off as criticism of your article and I was a little churlish about how they characterised the editing. My apologies.

I think I was just poking the bear on GMOs and the unthinking response many people have to the issue. Which can make practitioners more inclined to be secretive or overly careful about how they express what they're doing. Sorry going around in circles a bit and probably not helping. I'm just keen for people to be a bit more knowledgeable about the risks and the rewards of these techniques, rather than treating them all as the same issue. Which I suppose is in line with Laura's characterisation.

Again, good to see the original post and article.

Brewer's Friend Blog likes this.