Okay, Let's be Clear

I have no issues with using whatever to clear a beer. No doubt a clear beer is a beautiful thing to look at. I just don’t add anything other than 1/2 a whirlfloc tablet to the kettle. Using a high-floc yeast, putting it in its happy place, not rushing fermentation and a fair time conditioning the beer cold are what has given me best results. Besides I’m too lazy to add more brew steps.

Cream Ale, with the beautiful Pils from @sbaclimber in the background.

13A48D6B-86E0-4ECA-A99F-171BF6E2B73E.jpeg

Cream Ale...100% natural..a teaspoon of Irish Moss at 50 minutes, a clean, trub free transfer into the carboy and cold crashed in the bottle for about 3 weeks...This is one of my last bottles from a December's brew day so make that like 12 weeks but it was clear for Christmas drinking.
20230316_183456.jpg

I don't believe in using additional chemicals in my homebrew.
I don't use "chemicals", but I do use gelatin. Technically, it's a natural collagen protein derived from mammals, and I eat these mammals on a regular basis.

The other clarifiers are Irish Moss (seaweed) which contains the polysaccharide carrageenan, also found in Whirlfloc tablets. Isinglass is derived from fish bladders. PVPP isn't technically a chemical, it's a plastic polymer powder that has a infinity to attract polyphenols. By law it has to be removed before the beer is consumed, so if you have any plastic material contact with the beer, you have defiled your beer.

Then there is salicylic acid, also known as Biofine Clear. This is a naturally occurring compound found in water that is leached from rock. Brewers use this when they want a clear beer that is vegan. Now technically this is a chemical, but ironically it is used so vegans don't consume any animal protein. No contradiction there.

It should be noted that any clarifiers used in beer need to be removed in order for them to work properly because they attach themselves to the compounds that cause turbidity.

I see no harm in using clarifiers (the Germans use PVPP) and as Ben noted; alcohol is a chemical too.

Happy St. Patricks Day!
The last few years we have been going to a great Irish themed bar in Woodbury.for the festivities. They put up a big tent out in the parking lot with a heater inside. But half the folks party like rock stars just outside the tent standing around tables.
This year it cold! A high of about 14F and windy . I won't be drinking outdoors.
The tent will be packed and there is no chance of getting into the bar itself, that is full of the professionals that start the moment it opens.
May have to stick around our town and do the bar crawl thing.

I don't use "chemicals", but I do use gelatin. Technically, it's a natural collagen protein derived from mammals, and I eat these mammals on a regular basis.

The other clarifiers are Irish Moss (seaweed) which contains the polysaccharide carrageenan, also found in Whirlfloc tablets. Isinglass is derived from fish bladders. PVPP isn't technically a chemical, it's a plastic polymer powder that has a infinity to attract polyphenols. By law it has to be removed before the beer is consumed, so if you have any plastic material contact with the beer, you have defiled your beer.

Then there is salicylic acid, also known as Biofine Clear. This is a naturally occurring compound found in water that is leached from rock. Brewers use this when they want a clear beer that is vegan. Now technically this is a chemical, but ironically it is used so vegans don't consume any animal protein. No contradiction there.

It should be noted that any clarifiers used in beer need to be removed in order for them to work properly because they attach themselves to the compounds that cause turbidity.

I see no harm in using clarifiers (the Germans use PVPP) and as Ben noted; alcohol is a chemical too.
I appreciate the informed response. It is just a personal preference, and like I mentioned before, everyone should do what makes them happy when it comes to brewing. Y'all do have some pretty beers.

The other clarifiers are Irish Moss (seaweed) which contains the polysaccharide carrageenan, also found in Whirlfloc tablets. Isinglass is derived from fish bladders. PVPP isn't technically a chemical, it's a plastic polymer powder that has a infinity to attract polyphenols

What I read is that whirlfloc is a highly processed form of the seaweed that is Irish moss and it's the chemical used to process that is the potentially bad stuff. I'll go look for my reference but that is why steer clear of any thing else though gelatin is perfectly safe but then I couldn't treat my vegan friends to my beer.

I use 1/2 of a whirlfloc (cargreenan) and 1/2 tsp of gelatin (bone marrow derivitive). I doubt that my lifespan is compromised by these two items in a 5 gallon batch...
If you are opposed to using either though, I respect that.

Speaking of which.
First sucked up the gelatin mixture, added 3/8"ID silicone tube, pushed the mixture to the tip of the tube, added a disconnect, connected to the fermenter (after releasing pressure), remembered to leave the relief valve open and gave er a squirt!
20230317_221539.jpg
20230317_221625.jpg
20230317_221704.jpg
20230317_221730(0).jpg
20230317_221158.jpg

I use 1/2 of a whirlfloc (cargreenan) and 1/2 tsp of gelatin (bone marrow derivitive). I doubt that my lifespan is compromised by these two items in a 5 gallon batch...
If you are opposed to using either though, I respect that.

Speaking of which.
First sucked up the gelatin mixture, added 3/8"ID silicone tube, pushed the mixture to the tip of the tube, added a disconnect, connected to the fermenter (after releasing pressure), remembered to leave the relief valve open and gave er a squirt!
View attachment 24691 View attachment 24692 View attachment 24693 View attachment 24694 View attachment 24695
Hey I've seen that before;)
Except I push mine through the gas post either ither

Back