Okay, Let's be Clear

Craigerrr

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Enough said
20230315_180316.jpg

Post your clear home brew folks!

We do drink with our eyes, love to see some beautiful beers!

I'm glad there are those who are old school with no clearing additions. I'm in the same camp. None for me.
I believe some beers need to be clear and others, not so much.
They sure do look awesome when they are brilliant though!
Cheers
Brian

I'll play devil's advocate a little here,

Beer is a chemical experiment. You take carbohydrates, lipids, proteins and convert them with heat and enzymes. Then add hops and use chemical reactions to convert that.
Then the product goes into the fermenter where you add a complex of chemicals called yeast, which converts it some more.

So I don't see a big difference of using some silicilic acid to continue to refine the product into what i want. :confused:

[\soapbox]

Last edited:
I fiddled around with finings way back when, but once I recognized I am not submitting to competitions and realized a bit of haze doesn't affect flavor, I stopped bothering. (and cleaning gelatin out of bottles is a PITA)
That being said, now that I have a cellar that stays <15°C year around (great for fermenting and lagering lager beers :)), I do get really excited, when a brew clears up after a bit of conditioning. What bugs me though, it is still really hit-and-miss and though ingredients do seem to play a role, my process/equipment is probably mostly at fault, when a beer doesn't clear up within a month or two.
Now that I (newly) have a grain "mill" (Victoria style) and will be henceforth crushing my own, here is to hoping for some increased consistency! (Efficiency has already improved :D)

PS, here is my 1st ever Pilsner attempt last year (Pils / Saaz SMASH), which turned out to be my best ever and one of clearest ever brews...
Pils1_1.jpg

...every attempt since has been with other hops and not nearly as clear, but I am still trying and soon will do the SMASH again.

Last edited:

Back