Odell Myrcenary - Building my first recipe

Brewer #248031

Trial Member
Reaction score
I had an Odell Myrcenary for the first time Saturday night. I loved it. So, how I go about developing a test recipe? I've always used all grain kits, since they are pretty easy.

Anyway, I was thinking of Amarillo, Galaxy and Citra and then staring with a base tropical IPA recipe. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Odell's site description is:
Named for Myrcene, a component of essential oils in the hop flower, Myrcenary Double IPA is our tribute to those who revere the illustrious hop, and their unyielding exploit to craft hop-forward beers. Brewed with a blend of hops containing the highest levels of Myrcene, this double IPA prevails with a tropical fruit-like flavor, a pungent floral aroma, and a clean getaway.

Citra is likely the big guns in that beer, like many others. Don't forget Simcoe and Mosaic - they tend to enhance specific aspects of Citra. The Amarillo as "base" hop for this type of beer is a no-brainer but Centennial and Columbus can really help give some depth.
Whirlpool hops are going to be the biggest contributors, but unless it's a NEIPA (all juice, very little bitterness), balance the IBU content with something smooth,like Magnum, early in the boil.

I have used Huell Melon hop pellets early in the boil for that laid back hoppiness early in the boil.

I had an Odell Myrcenary for the first time Saturday night. I loved it. So, how I go about developing a test recipe? I've always used all grain kits, since they are pretty easy.

Anyway, I was thinking of Amarillo, Galaxy and Citra and then staring with a base tropical IPA recipe. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Odell's site description is:
Named for Myrcene, a component of essential oils in the hop flower, Myrcenary Double IPA is our tribute to those who revere the illustrious hop, and their unyielding exploit to craft hop-forward beers. Brewed with a blend of hops containing the highest levels of Myrcene, this double IPA prevails with a tropical fruit-like flavor, a pungent floral aroma, and a clean getaway.
Was the beer clearish to look at?
Pale/Amber?
You'll have to do a bit of homework it looks on hops wity high myrcene content.
Galaxy will sure bring some tropical fruit and as JA pointed at some other great tropical fruit hops.
Sounds like a west coast IPA?

Not anywhere near as bitter as a west coast. Start adding hops at 30 minutes into the boil. I have the ingredients, just haven't made it yet.

Back