Oatmeal IPA help

CDC

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I recently had a Mother Earth Brewery, Oatmeal IPA. It was a gift and didn't sound very interesting when I received it. It stayed in the back of my fridge for a month or so. However, since drinking it the other day, I have been trying to get some lowdown on the MEB recipe. I have a base to start from but I am seeing a wide range for the amount and the type of oatmeal or oats in the recipe. The recipes on this site do not discuss how these beers turned out. Does this mean they are yet to be brewed? Has anyone brewed an Oatmeal IPA? Was it a good beer? What was the recipe you used?
Thanks, and if you see a MEB Oatmeal IPA, I suggest you try it.

I think this is a recipes for feedback question...

anyway. I use two types of oats in all my NEIPAs, golden naked oats and flaked oats. And I use a lot of them too. makes for a really good cloud of a beer.

Can I move this post? Sorry I'm new here.

If you're searching the recipes, you can see the number of times a particular recipe has been brewed. And you can even sort results by number of brews by clicking on the header in the "Brewed" column - it'll re-sort from lowest to highest the second time you sort. There's also a rating column, though unless there's also a lot of brews, it may be a 5-star rating from one brewer who doesn't know what he's talking about. As an example, Ozark's Sierra Nevada Pale clone has been brewed 242 times and is highly rated. You can count on something like that being pretty fool-proof.
As for the oatmeal...I prefer IPAs crisp and clear, so I can't help you much on that. :)

Thanks JA. I didn't think I'd like that IPA either but it was really good. So good, I want to try to brew one. I think I've figured out the recipe page. When I brew a recipe, would I go back in to comment on how it turned out? I think I just need to brew and figure it out. RDWHAHB

Reactions: J A
When you share it, all your notes that you add to the recipe page are available and, yes, you can add comments.

go with a simple grain bill, 2-row and Oats. I like to do a 60/40 split, you could do 70/30. Your oats can be malted oats, golden naked, flaked, try and and experiment.

Also, use a very juicy water profile, go 180/70 : Cl/SO4. And ferment it on a good NEIPA strain like Wyeast London 3, or White Labs Burlington, or White Labs London Fog, those are the strains I like.

Thanks Oliver, I think I'm going to use the British strain. I like English IPA's. I hope to brew this Sunday, 12/31.

Which British strain are you thinking about? Also be very deliberate with what water you use. Trust me, the water you use makes or breaks an IPA, and also defines what kind of IPA it is. I can't stress enough the importance of your water. According to Mother Earth's website:

“Our Oatmeal IPA will change the way you look at IPA! Brewed with a generous portion of flaked oats that provide a creamy, velvet-like mouthfeel, this IPA takes nearly all of its hops (Chinook, Mosaic and Citra) as late additions and dry hops during fermentation, resulting in big aromas and flavors of grapefruit and cantaloupe with very little bitterness. Enjoy this beer, best paired with sunshine, friends and good vibes..... Intentionally low in bitterness, high in residual sweetness and packed with late addition Citra and Mosaic hops. The central aim was to create an accessible IPA for traditionally non-IPA drinkers. Expect a melon/citrus fruit bomb.” (http://www.motherearthbrewing.com/beer/oatmeal-ipa)

A water profile with about 100 Ca, 50 SO4, and 150 Cl will keep the hops softer, and make your IBUs seem lower.

Also, the photos I'm seeing don't look like they use an English yeast strain, the beer is too clear. Personally I'd use London III with that kind of malt bill and hop schedule, but if you're going for a true clone, it looks like an American west coast strain they're using.

Back