No sign of fermentation in 24 hours

My RIS is 6 days in and I'm still seeing a bit of activity. The SG when I checked yesterday..? was 1.022 which is well below the predicted 1.040 but I used the porter yeast cake so I had some real power brought on that. My math shows around 10.4%, and since I don't know what a RIS is supposed to taste like I don't know if I have a good one or not.

If it's delicious. It's good:D

It's going to mellow for at least a month in my cold garage (10C or so) before I consider doing anything with it. The contest I'm making it for is in May I think so it should have time to mellow enough. I'll probably enter it again next year after letting it keg mellow for a year. Since I drink like 3 pints of stout a year.

Here is the result of this brew:

20180310_194846.jpg

...and I'm happy to report there is no sign of the unwanted off-flavor I've been having trouble with earlier.

This beer has it flaws too, but these I think I know what they are and I don't really mind them. It's a bit too estery, it lacks "the bite" and the head is a bit week. The estery bit is most likely caused by the problems I had with getting fermentation to start and wanting to give it a kick I had to raise the temperature to the high end of the recommended scale. It's a session beer and I think I took it a bit too low in ABV, only 3.6%, and that's probably why it feels like missing something. For my next session beer I'm probably not going below the 4% level.

But all in all it's a nice drinkable beer and hopefully a couple of more weeks in bottle will do this beer good.

There is still a few things I need to dial in regarding my brewing process, especially the fermentation stage.

Glad it worked out better. ;)
You may find that the esters fade somewhat as the beer ages. I did a starter batch of a basic Blonde with S-04 and it was pretty fruity for quite a while. It's mellowed now and is very malty with much less fruity character.
Raising ABV by a few tenths of a percent won't change much by itself, but more malt in general will make a more satisfying beer. The weak body and head could be remedied in a 3.6% beer with things like the addition of some flaked Barley or different mashing.

Glad it worked out better. ;)
You may find that the esters fade somewhat as the beer ages. I did a starter batch of a basic Blonde with S-04 and it was pretty fruity for quite a while. It's mellowed now and is very malty with much less fruity character.
Raising ABV by a few tenths of a percent won't change much by itself, but more malt in general will make a more satisfying beer. The weak body and head could be remedied in a 3.6% beer with things like the addition of some flaked Barley or different mashing.
Yes I hope they will get less prominent with time to favor the malt.
And I tried to do a couple of things to get a better body in this low ABV brew, including ingredients and mash temp, but it seems like it either wasn't enough or it needs more time to mature. I did this beer before I got my copy of Session Beers (Talley), so for my next similar brew I have a few other tricks up my sleeve :p

Yes I hope they will get less prominent with time to favor the malt.
And I tried to do a couple of things to get a better body in this low ABV brew, including ingredients and mash temp, but it seems like it either wasn't enough or it needs more time to mature. I did this beer before I got my copy of Session Beers (Talley), so for my next similar brew I have a few other tricks up my sleeve :p

Great book if you plan on brewing session beers. Packed with valuable information. Many of the recipes seem to be geared more toward techniques used by the pros. Other than that, it's an excellent addition to any home brewer's library.

Back