Newbie . . . obviously

Brewer #401287

Trial Member
Reaction score
I'm sparing the intro formalities for now, OK?
Next, what is BIAB?
OK, I'm considering jumping into what I hope will be a continued endeavor, and reap all the benefits that come with it. (I have the Palmer Brew book coming my way.) My situation and first concern: I live in a condo building. The condo units on upper floors are situated over the ground floor of over-sized double garages. My garage has a separate enclosed store room. I believe I can set up a proper brew station in that storeroom (with some advantages and some handicaps). My question right now is, how heavy would you rate the odors created during the brewing process? The garage is connected to a hallway setup that seems to draw all the typical garage project odors like a magnet. Might not be appealing to the neighbors. Appreciate any thoughts. Thanks

Welcome:)
I can't really help you as my house is very well ventialted and my nearest neighbours are hundreds of metres away.
Also, some people like the smell and some don't.
Good luck anyway and happy brewing

Next, what is BIAB?
OK, I'm considering jumping into what I hope will be a continued endeavor, and reap all the benefits that come with it. (I have the Palmer Brew book coming my way.) My situation and first concern: I live in a condo building. The condo units on upper floors are situated over the ground floor of over-sized double garages. My garage has a separate enclosed store room. I believe I can set up a proper brew station in that storeroom (with some advantages and some handicaps). My question right now is, how heavy would you rate the odors created during the brewing process? The garage is connected to a hallway setup that seems to draw all the typical garage project odors like a magnet. Might not be appealing to the neighbors. Appreciate any thoughts. Thanks
Welcome anyhow!

BIAB an Aussie Homebrewing invention is simply a sturdy perforated bag which you put your grains in when mashing.

It holds all your grains together so once your done mashing you can just hoist em out sparge then remove them altogether.

I say to beginners it's just like an oversize teabag.:)

Yeah brewing beer to me does have plenty of odours it also depends on what your brewing. Pilsners are fairly low odor but something like a porter can smell like roasty chocolate biscuits quite enticing.

Hops of course are gunna release their compounds into the air

Simple some people don't like the smell:rolleyes:

BIAB = Brew in a bag.

Basically you only need 1 pot instead of the typical 3 pot setup.

There are oders for sure, i don't think they are bad, but my wife thinks it stinks. Open the garage and brew there. Just store your equipment in the store room.

Are you going to use propane or go electric?

Next, what is BIAB?
During the Biab process, you boil off about a gallon of water. This is not good for the storeroom (not well-ventilated), so open the garage door and let the steam go out the door into the world.

The odor is not unpleasant, but not suitable for indoors. Again, open the garage door.

Lastly, if using propane (or anything not-electric) that needs to be totally outdoors, so yet again, at the edge of the garage door. Beware the steam, it will peel the paint on your garage ceiling - use a fan to push the steam out the open door before it rises up there.

Bottom line: a gallon of grain-steam is not trivial.

During the Biab process, you boil off about a gallon of water. This is not good for the storeroom (not well-ventilated), so open the garage door and let the steam go out the door into the world.

The odor is not unpleasant, but not suitable for indoors. Again, open the garage door.

Lastly, if using propane (or anything not-electric) that needs to be totally outdoors, so yet again, at the edge of the garage door. Beware the steam, it will peel the paint on your garage ceiling - use a fan to push the steam out the open door before it rises up there.

Bottom line: a gallon of grain-steam is not trivial.
I can understand the more well ventilated areas, other than enclosed storeroom for the brewing process. (And electric over propane, just for oxygen levels,) I figured the storeroom would be good for maintaining a constant temp during the fermentation.
I appreciate all the info shared here. I'm going to move into this slowly. Lot to consider. Thanks to all.

Better check to make sure your E burner can do the job before you have 7 gallons of wort that won't come to a boil.
Cheers and Welcome
Brian

Back