Newbie Looking for Guidance

Thanks so much for all of the replies. I think I'll see how I get on with my smaller kettle for a couple of brews before I get cocky and buy something bigger. But I'll go two sizes up as suggested when I do.

I'll let you know my progress as I go if I can!

Does anyone recommend a good recipe to start with? Someone mentioned a blonde further up.

JR
Good plan. And I'd go with a Blonde Ale. Easy to make, very little chance to cover up your errors.... Or "On the Ones": One base malt, one specialty malt, one bittering hop, one flavor hop (don't do dry hopping just yet). You want to be able to taste flaws to troubleshoot and perfect your process before moving on to bigger and hopefully better beers.

Thanks so much for all of the replies. I think I'll see how I get on with my smaller kettle for a couple of brews before I get cocky and buy something bigger. But I'll go two sizes up as suggested when I do.

I'll let you know my progress as I go if I can!

Does anyone recommend a good recipe to start with? Someone mentioned a blonde further up.

JR
If you ever need help spending your money, we are there for you!
We love spending vicariously!

I've largely gone back to 5G batches in my 16G kettle and while it's overkill it works really well.

A SMaSH would be easy. 2 Row malt and hops of your liking. You could use Citra, Azacca, El Dorado as a hop choice....just sayin'

A SMaSH would be easy. 2 Row malt and hops of your liking. You could use Citra, Azacca, El Dorado as a hop choice....just sayin'

Is there a recipe for that on here? I've not bought my malt and hops yet...

Just get your 2row or basemalt of your choice up to the ABV you want, then pick your favorite hop, and come up with a hop schedule to suit your IBU/flavor/aroma,easy peasy!

Cheers guys! I appreciate you helping a beginner out. Hoping to start brewing next week!

I moved from an 8 gallon to 15 gallon this year. The 8 gallon was just too small to do a 6 gal fermenter BIAB batch. Always spilled over. Get a good 15, you won't regret it.
Just a note: I was using a propane turkey frier burner with the 8 gallon but that just didn't have the BTU I wanted for the fast boil for the larger batches. I "had" to upgrade to a Blichmann Hellfire burner as well.

Definitely a mandatory upgrade eh? ;)

Back