Newbie easy beer recipe.

hi guys,im glad we had such a robust discussion concerning this issue.
All valid points to consider,but i need to reiterate the mandate laid down:
Newbie has researched countless ways to brew a simple ,basic beer that is rudimentally easy and 123.
Newbie knows absolutely nothing about the grains,extraxt,hops,yeast.
Newbie is absolutely overwhelmed by site.
But;
Then our site would offer a very diy way to make said beer ,of course with disclaimer that finished beer will never,never,be even remotely close to a properly crafted brew that can be accomplished with the proper guidance and tools of brewers friend community.
I think
Herm_brews
is running on the same thought line on a 'basic diy'
like his previous suggestion

how to brew a simple, basic,no fuss beer,and then we get started
I tend to agree but then, perfecting the process has been my mantra for years. I believe having a go-to newbie recipe to be a good thing, a true noob doesn't know what to look for in a recipe. A pale ale simple recipe would be a good thing to have.

Then our site would offer a very diy way to make said beer ,of course with disclaimer that finished beer will never,never,be even remotely close to a properly crafted brew that can be accomplished with the proper guidance and tools of brewers friend community.
The problem is that a recipe doesn't do that. An introduction to all-grain brewing is what's needed. The recipe is a list of ingredients and a mash schedule and set of volumes and efficiency that worked with a specific brewing set up. Without understanding all that is like opening a cookbook to a cake recipe and starting right in having no idea how an electric mixer or how to use an oven. And then realizing that there's a difference in a convection oven, a conventional oven, a dutch oven in campfire coals, etc and not knowing exactly which one you have.
There must be hundreds of basic intro tutorials and videos on the internet but if Brewer's Friend were to produce a reasonably comprehensive educational video or article to explain basic brewing procedures, differences in equipment, how to use the recipe calculator to understand and predict the outcome, that would be great. To tell a newbie, "here's the best recipe to start with" is just not enough information to be of much help.

The problem is that a recipe doesn't do that. An introduction to all-grain brewing is what's needed. The recipe is a list of ingredients and a mash schedule and set of volumes and efficiency that worked with a specific brewing set up. Without understanding all that is like opening a cookbook to a cake recipe and starting right in having no idea how an electric mixer or how to use an oven. And then realizing that there's a difference in a convection oven, a conventional oven, a dutch oven in campfire coals, etc and not knowing exactly which one you have.
There must be hundreds of basic intro tutorials and videos on the internet but if Brewer's Friend were to produce a reasonably comprehensive educational video or article to explain basic brewing procedures, differences in equipment, how to use the recipe calculator to understand and predict the outcome, that would be great. To tell a newbie, "here's the best recipe to start with" is just not enough information to be of much help.
But it might not be a bad idea to incorporate that recipe into the tutorial.... I like the tutorial idea, especially if it incorporates answers to a lot of the "noob" questions we see over and over such as "no fermentation after x hours", "no bubbles," that kind of stuff. In addition to the "this is how you do it" part, a "this is what you can expect", along with "if this happens, expect....". I don't like it because it is the beer book I was intending to write. And may still.

But it might not be a bad idea to incorporate that recipe into the tutorial.... I like the tutorial idea, especially if it incorporates answers to a lot of the "noob" questions we see over and over such as "no fermentation after x hours", "no bubbles," that kind of stuff. In addition to the "this is how you do it" part, a "this is what you can expect", along with "if this happens, expect....". I don't like it because it is the beer book I was intending to write. And may still.
If you write a book does that mean you'll stop dispensing nuggets of wisdom for free? If we're too lazy to read the book can we like venmo you $.50 per question?

I like the tutorial idea, especially if it incorporates answers to a lot of the "noob" questions we see over and over
Those same questions have been the subject of thread after thread in countless forums all over the internet. I don't know why everyone who's ever brewed a batch of beer has to have a personal answer that's identical to the ones they already found. I guess I'm assuming that basic research is part of the process. Maybe it's just become the norm to skip the research and ask every question that comes up in a forum like this.The local vegetable gardening Facebook page is just like that. I'm astounded at the dumb questions that come up. I know...no dumb questions, only dumb answers...but I don't agree with that. With a world of information (literally) at every persons fingertips, simple concepts should be easy to grasp. There should be an emoji for "Let me google that for you". :D
You're going to reach more people on a digital platform. Just need to figure out how to monetize it
That's precisely what the Brewer's Friend owners and admins are trying to do. Along with every other digital outlet in the world. :)

Those same questions have been the subject of thread after thread in countless forums all over the internet. I don't know why everyone who's ever brewed a batch of beer has to have a personal answer that's identical to the ones they already found. I guess I'm assuming that basic research is part of the process. Maybe it's just become the norm to skip the research and ask every question that comes up in a forum like this.The local vegetable gardening Facebook page is just like that. I'm astounded at the dumb questions that come up. I know...no dumb questions, only dumb answers...but I don't agree with that. With a world of information (literally) at every persons fingertips, simple concepts should be easy to grasp. There should be an emoji for "Let me google that for you". :D
The problem is there's too much information . Here's the thing I can do a Google search and spend 30 minutes reading a dozen blogs and different forums and then sift through what information I feel is useful OR I could spend 5 minutes writing a post on here with information specific to my specific problem and then grab a beer and spend the next 30 minutes watching TV, come back and I have an answer or two. It only further contributes to the problem of too much information to sift through but it's easier. Or could be a case that my search terms weren't able to bring up the exact information I want so I structure a question to bring it to me.

Here's a helpful feature idea but I don't know how difficult it would be to implement or if it would solve the problem but how bout when you go to post a new thread a feature that searches by title keywords and tags and suggests 3-4 threads that could possibly answer your question before you create a new thread. I feel like I've seen similar on other forums I've been on in the past but if such a feature already exists on BF I've missed it

If you write a book does that mean you'll stop dispensing nuggets of wisdom for free? If we're too lazy to read the book can we like venmo you $.50 per question?
If you wish... As long as I don't break my copyright. At that rate, I'd have already have made over $4500 off you slackers.... :)

I feel like I've seen similar on other forums I've been on in the past but if such a feature already exists on BF I've missed it
Under the "search" tab at the top of the page, the drop-down offers "site wide search". After a half dozen ads, you'll find threads and articles relating to the search words. The search "simple recipe" brings up dozens of threads, including this, for example: https://www.brewersfriend.com/forum/threads/easy-ish-recipe-for-first-partial-mash.13392/ which (without further exploration because I just don't want to put more time into researching something for someone else :cool:) seems to be right in the range of the original concept here.

Under the "search" tab at the top of the page, the drop-down offers "site wide search". After a half dozen ads, you'll find threads and articles relating to the search words. The search "simple recipe" brings up dozens of threads, including this, for example: https://www.brewersfriend.com/forum/threads/easy-ish-recipe-for-first-partial-mash.13392/ which (without further exploration because I just don't want to put more time into researching something for someone else :cool:) seems to be right in the range of the original concept here.
I'm talking about something more assertive than a search. A search is fine but only works if there person actually tries to search. This could be like something that pops up after someone neglects a search. Really though you're never going to eliminate people creating redundant threads. Just how the internet works

Back