Needing some recipe assistance please.

CoFlyGuy

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I had a buddy give me a small batch recipe that he wrote down for me. I seem to be having some calculation issues on my end or maybe he was off. Not really sure. Anyway, when entering my Hops, he calls for a CZT (11.4). I can't seem to find anything like that listed in the Hops list. I did find the CZT 15.5. Am I missing something or is there a part of the boil that will get me closer to that number?

I am very new to this so trying to get the basics down and then run from there.

Thanks for all your assistance folks.

I had a buddy give me a small batch recipe that he wrote down for me. I seem to be having some calculation issues on my end or maybe he was off. Not really sure. Anyway, when entering my Hops, he calls for a CZT (11.4). I can't seem to find anything like that listed in the Hops list. I did find the CZT 15.5. Am I missing something or is there a part of the boil that will get me closer to that number?

Are you taking about the alpha acid percentage of the hop? You can enter a custom amount in a box next to the hop name

Also feel free to post the entire recipe in the Recipe Feedback subforum and we'd be happy to answer any questions you have :D

The number appears to be the AA (alpha acid) of the hops. Hops AA values change every harvest, so what you can buy is likely not identical to what is on yhe list. As @Sunfire96 wrote, just over write the correct AA and fiddle with the quantity and timing to get close to the desired IBU.

The number appears to be the AA (alpha acid) of the hops. Hops AA values change every harvest, so what you can buy is likely not identical to what is on yhe list. As @Sunfire96 wrote, just over write the correct AA and fiddle with the quantity and timing to get close to the desired IBU.

Awesome. That is something that I did not know about the AA. Now I do so I will fiddle with the recipe and see what I can get going. Althoug, I have not actually tasted this recipe, therefore I do have a bit of freedom to make my own. Additionally, I don't know that I will be able to find all the specifics at my Local Brew Shop so that could also have an effect on my ultimate plans in the future.

Everyone knows, a recipe is nothing more than a template for something we call our own.

Awesome. That is something that I did not know about the AA. Now I do so I will fiddle with the recipe and see what I can get going. Althoug, I have not actually tasted this recipe, therefore I do have a bit of freedom to make my own. Additionally, I don't know that I will be able to find all the specifics at my Local Brew Shop so that could also have an effect on my ultimate plans in the future.

Everyone knows, a recipe is nothing more than a template for something we call our own.
Yep!

Don't sweat a few IBU, you are unlikely to taste a difference. And if your local homebrew shop (LHBS) is out of something, they should be able to recommend similar things. Likely they are experienced home brewers and are almost certainly going to be a valuable resource for brewing.

Recipes are more accurately written as so many IBUs of some hop at some minutes, the point in recording this way is that hop IBUs change from year to year and from region to region and sometimes a few miles difference in the harvest can change a hops IBUs. So don't worry about it too much and just make your change manually in the software to match the IBUs of the hops you have.

CTZ is an abbreviation for Columbus, Tomahawk, Zeus.
These are most typically used for their high Alpha acids as bittering hops at the beginning of the boil.
As stated above, the AA will change from batch to batch.
When converting a recipe, you really want the AAU or Alpha Acid Units.
That number is the weight multiplied by the AA.
For example, 2 ounces of CTZ @ 11 AA, would give you 22 AAU's.
You can then divide that by the AA of the CTZ you have and it'll give you the amount you would need to get the same bittering contribution.
If what you can get now is 10AA, this is how it would go.
22 AAU's ÷ 10= 2.2 ounces.
Hope this makes sense to you.
Cheers,
Brian

Back