Natural light type

Ozarks Mountain Brewery

Lifetime Member
Staff member
Established Member
Reaction score
This is my attempt at a very light beer such as Natural light type, now these numbers are not correct because I will be diluting this down using 4 gallons of cold water, it will end up 12 gallons in the fermenter ... the key here is first the water

you need perfect water to brew this beer so cut most household waters in half with distilled, then keep your ph correct and add lots of yeast nutrient and twice the normal yeast amount

also ferment very low at around 40ish for 30 to 45 days, you should expect a day lag time
when done fermenting do a 3 day rest at 60 and cold condition at 34 for 7 to 10 days while carbing

this should end at 1.005 to 1.002 and be about 4.5% , the ibu's will be cut in half at about 13 and will need to carb high to mimic the commercial beer

this beer should be ready for this years hot summer. I realize i can buy this beer cheaper than I can make it but its fun to try to mimic the pros

Brew Method: All Grain
Style Name: American Lager
Boil Time: 90 min
Batch Size: 8 gallons (ending kettle volume)
Boil Size: 11 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.058
Efficiency: 80% (ending kettle)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.079
Final Gravity: 1.015
ABV (standard): 8.45%
IBU (tinseth): 26.48
SRM (morey): 5.28

FERMENTABLES:
16 lb - United Kingdom - Golden Promise (76.2%)
5 lb - Flaked Rice (23.8%)

HOPS:
2 oz - Cluster, Type: Pellet, AA: 6.5, Use: Boil for 45 min, IBU: 26.48

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Infusion, Temp: 152 F, Time: 90 min, Amount: 8 gal
2) Fly Sparge, Temp: 170 F, Time: 60 min, Amount: 6 gal
Starting Mash Thickness: 1.5 qt/lb

OTHER INGREDIENTS:
4 each - 4 gallons Distilled water , Type: Other, Use: Primary

YEAST:
Fermentis / Safale - Saflager - Swiss Lager Yeast S-189
Starter: Yes
Form: Dry
Attenuation (custom): 80%
Flocculation: High
Optimum Temp: 48 - 72 F
Fermentation Temp: 40 F

TARGET WATER PROFILE:
Profile Name: Pilsen (Light Lager)
Ca2: 7
Mg2: 3
Na: 2
Cl: 5
SO4: 5
HCO3: 25

Looks good. I've really enjoyed the adjunct lagers I've brewed. They're always really well received. It's nice to get an easy-drinking beer with a good flavor profile instead of just fizzy and sort of sweet. I've been thinking of trying to double up on my mash like this to get more out of a brew session, too.
Your Golden Promise looks really interesting for this. I've been leaning more and more toward good Pilsner as the main grist for these lighter beers. I like that grainy dry malt flavor. I've been using an excellent Czech floor-malted Pilsner that I've been buying from a very good local brewery.
I've preferred rice, but I really liked a corn-adjunct light lager I made recently. I just picked up 25 lbs of flaked maize so I'll be using that for Summer beers this year. I'll be brewing a Cream Ale tomorrow evening using just Pilsner and flaked maize and hopped with Cluster and Saaz. I'm looking forward to that. If that goes well, I may put together a Pre-Pro lager or American Pilsner with that combination for a little bigger beer.
Good luck with it! ;)

yes I toyed with other grains for a thin summer light and even though Promise is a bit darker it has more flavor and thats one reason and I keep coming back to it because its never let me down, some 2 row and pilsners have, it will have the same slight sweetness that commercial lights do Im also thinking about a small amount of Amarillo at the end just for that sweet first kiss but the big boys get away with it by over carbonation, I was thinking since its a smaller grain bill I could double it and fill all 4 kegs, thats a though :)

Reactions: J A
What can I expect from the Cluster hops? I can't decide whether to keep Saaz as the main hop with Cluster bring up the rear for some American bite or use Cluster for bittering and keep more of the flavor/aroma in the noble camp.
I don't mind a little bold hoppiness and since I'm using a combination of yeasts including S-33 I want to counteract some of fruity esters that may be pushed forward by the corn sweetness. That being said, it's a competition beer and needs to adhere pretty tightly to style guidelines so I don't want to go out of bounds with hoppiness.

the actual flavor of cluster is a sour pickle tart kind of which I like and its in most of the early lagers but I like it in the background more than finish, you really wont taste it at 60 or above

Interesting...I'll use it for bittering and maybe save just a pinch for embellishing the late addition. Saaz spiciness and noble aroma are always a safe bet so I'll mostly feature that but I like the notion of keeping it old-school American, too.
Thanks for the info.

Back