Mosaic SMASH

illingwd

Trial Member
Reaction score
I love mosaic so thinking of trying a SMASH beer with it. Here is what I’m thinking.

Grain: 100% Maris Otter

Hops: 20g Mosaic at 15, 10 and 5 mins. Hopstand 30g mosaic for 30 mins.

Yeast: west coast, probably mangrove jacks

According to my calculator this should come out around 40 IBU, OG 1.048 and abv around 5.5%.

Ideas and feedback welcome!

How come there isn't a bittering hop addition? Just curious as I have seen some other recipes with this sort of hop schedule. Is it a relatively new idea? Is it so that you get a ton of hop character without a whole lot of bitterness?

How come there isn't a bittering hop addition? Just curious as I have seen some other recipes with this sort of hop schedule. Is it a relatively new idea? Is it so that you get a ton of hop character without a whole lot of bitterness?

Essentially, yes. The idea is to get the target IBU but with a slightly softer, less harsh bitterness and maximising hop flavour and aroma.

Essentially, yes. The idea is to get the target IBU but with a slightly softer, less harsh bitterness and maximising hop flavour and aroma.
Right on.

So, I take it you already have a good idea kd Marris Otter is like? My approach to SMASH beers is to try and taste what the hop and the malt are both like. IMHO (take it with a grain of salt) that can't really be done with a hop forward approach like this. I feel that to actually get an idea of what MO is like you'd need to be in the 10-20 ibu range. I'm also sensitive to hops, so it could just be me.

If you are going for a Pale Ale showcasing a hop then I think it looks great.

I'd add a little at 60 mins to help protein coagulation, clarity and so forth but a very small addition, a quarter ounce or less.

I did a mosaic smash once with Egyptian purple barley. Well, technically not a smash since I mashed with Japanese yams and fresh ginger. The goal was to match mosaic's tropical fruit to primitive earthy grist. I was inspired by a week in the Caribbean.

That beer made mosaic my favorite hop.

Targeted about 30 IBU using FWH and dry hopped for 4 days. It would work at 40 IBU no problem. I think FWH gives better control over bitterness than late additions, however. It will also give you the smooth balanced type bitter you're looking for.

I think FWH gives better control over bitterness than late additions, however. It will also give you the smooth balanced type bitter you're looking for.

I would second FWH.

I have brewed some SMASH beers and I'm planning a Mosaic Smash in a few weeks.I also have been skiping classic 60 minutes bittering, as I get enough bitterness by adding enough hops late in the boil. But I am not a fan of bitterness, thus unless is way to low to risk unbalancing the beer, I do not really care for bittering the normal way.

Grain bill ---> 6.5 Kg Weyermann Pale Ale malt
Yeast ---> 1 x US-05
Mash at 65C/149F for 60 minutes

Hop schedule looks something like this for around 33 IBUs and a predicted OG of 1.054 and predicted FG of 1.009:

5 gr Mosaic......20 minutes
25 gr Mosaic....10 minutes
25 gr Mosaic......5 minutes
25 gr Mosaic......1 minutes
140 gr Mosaic......Whirlpool
80 gr Mosaic.......Dry hopping

I like the aromas and flavour I get from lots of late additions and a big whirlpool done at 70C/159F. The dry hopping is there only to brighten up the aroma, hence the little addition.

Back