Mixing different yeast

Should I mix the 2?

• Total voters

Brewer #188040

Trial Member
Reaction score
I am in a bind. Have the whole day Saturday to brew a NEIPA at 8%.
My OG should be at 1.072 but I only have 1 pouch of wyeast 1318 (2 months old 66%)but beersmith calls for 3 pouches. I don't have access to another packet before Saturday.
I can make a starter without a stir plate but says I need to do it 3 times.
I have 3 packs of us-05 as well.
My question is can I do a 1318 starter and add a packet of the 05?
What would happen if I mixed the 2 in the fermenter?

I am in a bind. Have the whole day Saturday to brew a NEIPA at 8%.
My OG should be at 1.072 but I only have 1 pouch of wyeast 1318 (2 months old 66%)but beersmith calls for 3 pouches. I don't have access to another packet before Saturday.
I can make a starter without a stir plate but says I need to do it 3 times.
I have 3 packs of us-05 as well.
My question is can I do a 1318 starter and add a packet of the 05?
What would happen if I mixed the 2 in the fermenter?
Why not? Let us know how it turns out. Shouldn't be a problem at all in the first generation, but I wouldn't repitch it.

why not just use the dry, their different types of yeast and not really meant for an 8% beer anyway

Pick up a second smackpack of 1318 , build up a starter with first in meantime .
Co pitching does work but wouldn't suggest it for this style

It'll work fine but you'll have to estimate attenuation. When I've mixed yeasts, the attenuation tends to come out somewhere in the middle of the two averages.
The S-05 should push the attenuation slightly lower and will be responsible for a little better floculation. Not necessarily what you'd prefer in a NEIPA, but if you're not letting it sit too long, you'll have plenty of haze.

I would just create a starter with the 1318 yeast and pitch. You need way less yeast than you think you do IMHO

Your call really, but I wouldn't personally be afraid to pitch them both and see what happens.

Warning, this a heavily biased opinion. I don't have any use for NEIPAS. With that said, go for it! no way it couldn't screw up an IPA more than the NE style already has.\

{Pay no attention. This is my semi-annual rant:)

I'm in the starter and pitch camp. Give it a good swirl from time to time and you'll be just fine. The O5 will make a fine beer, but not what you're looking for in a NEIPA. 1 to 1.5l starter right outta the gate and you should be golden.

Back