Misadventures in Brewing

Ahh, misadventures. Like forgetting about the gallon of StarSan in the keg before filling it from the fermenter. Or dropping the mash pipe back into the kettle when the lifting pulley slipped (porter EVERYwhere). Or panicking when there's no bubbles coming out the fermenter, but not checking if the lid's on tight... Naah, never happened to me:oops:

Welcome to the clubhouse @Safety! Never under estimate the power of a few billion yeast cells...fortunately for me, my bottle bomb was only a 12 ouncer! Sounds like some 1/2" silicon tubing is in your future.

Gushers from bottling too early, and almost a full corny keg of one of my best on the garage floor when the tap was pinched open by the cover. Also, about five pounds of CO2 released to the world from loose connections. Will often unhook everything to be sure, and never close the lid with the tap connected. Yup, been there. Oh yeah, the beer shower from fixing the plugged blowoff setup. And the process keeps teaching me lessons. I am not always the best student.

Oh! I have had a couple of beauties!

On a 10 gallon batch with 30+ pounds of grain the hose came off of the false bottom in the mash tun.
I had to scoop all of the grains out into buckets along with the wort. Basically had to clean out the mash tun, reassemble, and get it all back in there. Talk about a long brew day! That I recall the beer turned out great, lost some volume, but that is life in the big leagues!
https://www.brewersfriend.com/forum/threads/you-know-you-did-it-wrong-when.3339/page-18#post-92203

The other is the infamous trip to the ER batch!
A glass carboy slipped out of may hand, with my natural reaction to try and catch it coinciding with it hitting the garage floor it shattered and sliced most of the pad of my right index finger off. Took months to heal. I use plastic fermenters now... Looked around couldn't find the posts on that incident, some graphic content there... I was brewing a 7% cranberry chocolate stout which I later named "Bloody Finger", it turned out pretty fantastic actually!

I found a post that had a link to the original Bloody Finger post: https://www.brewersfriend.com/forum...with-home-brew-today.6903/page-164#post-94389

But.....
upload_2022-2-4_17-12-26.png

:(

Ahh, misadventures. Like forgetting about the gallon of StarSan in the keg before filling it from the fermenter. Or dropping the mash pipe back into the kettle when the lifting pulley slipped (porter EVERYwhere). Or panicking when there's no bubbles coming out the fermenter, but not checking if the lid's on tight... Naah, never happened to me:oops:
sounds like a devils lettuce related incident(s)! :D I trip out if my airlock spits a drop of starsan in the fermentor.though.

. Oh yeah, the beer shower from fixing the plugged blowoff setup. And the process keeps teaching me lessons. I am not always the best student.

About 6 years ago I had just started a job at a resort as the head of maintenance (before then my background was in construction and farming) and there was a HUGE pile of scrap metal that had built up over the years that I decided to scrap/salvage. Anyway, there were 4 full sized kegs I wanted to turn into planters. I assumed that they were spent and empty, I had never handled a keg at all up to that point so the weight didn't register to me. I turned on my angle grinder and layed into it....biggest, stinkiest beer shower I have ever had. Luckily it was the last 2 hours of my shift and was able to avoid customers for the rest of the day but talk about embarrassing.

About 6 years ago I had just started a job at a resort as the head of maintenance (before then my background was in construction and farming) and there was a HUGE pile of scrap metal that had built up over the years that I decided to scrap/salvage. Anyway, there were 4 full sized kegs I wanted to turn into planters. I assumed that they were spent and empty, I had never handled a keg at all up to that point so the weight didn't register to me. I turned on my angle grinder and layed into it....biggest, stinkiest beer shower I have ever had. Luckily it was the last 2 hours of my shift and was able to avoid customers for the rest of the day but talk about embarrassing.
Hey, some spas charge for a beer bath, so there’s that!

I trip out if my airlock spits a drop of starsan in the fermentor.though.
One can drink diluted starsan. It is not pleasant-tasting but small amounts (a couple ounces) are not at all harmful. Even a gallon in 4 gallons of beer might not be bad, but I was unwilling...

Last edited:
One can drink diluted starsan. It us not pleasant-tasting but small amounts (a couple ounces) are not at all harmful. Even a gallon in 4 gallons of beer might not be bad, but I was unwilling...

starsan is phosphoric acid and that's what's in most soda

Back