MBC... After 10 months

Cheers to you and your co workers Brian!
Now how is all this scored?
Is it via that untapped app or?
Sorry I'm always curious questions a plenty :)

Cheers to you and your co workers Brian!
Now how is all this scored?
Is it via that untapped app or?
Sorry I'm always curious questions a plenty :)
According to the article, they look at all sources(Google, Facebook, Instagram,etc.) and run it through some analytics to come up with the ratings.
I'm honored to have been included on the list and will keep working hard to improve our standing.

Good job! It's tough just getting everything together the first year and becoming successful, let alone getting noticed like that.

BTW, I brought up your brewery address and saw Google has your brewery on street view. That's a nice looking place, makes me want to go in and get a beer!

Good job! It's tough just getting everything together the first year and becoming successful, let alone getting noticed like that.

BTW, I brought up your brewery address and saw Google has your brewery on street view. That's a nice looking place, makes me want to go in and get a beer!

If you look at it, it was originally a Valvoline oil change place. The 3 front windows were the exiting garage doors.
We completely renovated it and I use the basement ( after the pits were concreted in) for all beer fermentation, cold room serving, wine storage and cleaning.

If you look at it, it was originally a Valvoline oil change place. The 3 front windows were the exiting garage doors.
We completely renovated it and I use the basement ( after the pits were concreted in) for all beer fermentation, cold room serving, wine storage and cleaning.
That looks like it took a lot of work. Very nice.

Not a bad start but lots of hard work to do going forward!
Congratulations! That's a pretty good spot for not being focused on 'winning' but instead just brewing great beer.

Just wondering though, what kinds of things / ideas do you think would help bring the ranking upwards? I mean, I have to assume you brew the best beer you can, and having never visited (yet) I can't say if there's anything obvious needing attention (probably not). And if you don't want to divulge trade secrets, that's just fine.

Congratulations! That's a pretty good spot for not being focused on 'winning' but instead just brewing great beer.

Just wondering though, what kinds of things / ideas do you think would help bring the ranking upwards? I mean, I have to assume you brew the best beer you can, and having never visited (yet) I can't say if there's anything obvious needing attention (probably not). And if you don't want to divulge trade secrets, that's just fine.

Trade secret 1...
Work your ass off! Then when you think it's time to coast, work harder! Haha
Honestly, being passionate about and loving what I do, makes the work easy.
Things to work on are never ending. Continuous process improvement and attention to details are big parts of it.
I think the next steps will be to hire an assistant brewer that can take some work load off me so that I can dedicate time to what's coming.
Hopefully, food in 2022!
We have snacks, and have used food trucks, but to me, that doesn't cut it.
To improve the total customer experience, food, even a small menu, is important.
And now the BUT...
Food is an entire new and different business.
A different level food license, equipment, the footprint to put it into, how to serve it, staffing, a menu that is small, changing and superb, are just a few of the new things to address.
Another thing is to continue to find what the customer wants. That can be a type of beer that they want that I might not consider, or some form of entertainment.
We started Trivia about 6 weeks ago on Thursday night, and now that's our busiest night of the week. Who'd have thunk it?
I hope that answers some of the questions, and I'm always open for suggestions. Feel free to offer ideas.

Trade secret 1...
Work your ass off! Then when you think it's time to coast, work harder! Haha
Honestly, being passionate about and loving what I do, makes the work easy.
Things to work on are never ending. Continuous process improvement and attention to details are big parts of it.
I think the next steps will be to hire an assistant brewer that can take some work load off me so that I can dedicate time to what's coming.
Hopefully, food in 2022!
We have snacks, and have used food trucks, but to me, that doesn't cut it.
To improve the total customer experience, food, even a small menu, is important.
And now the BUT...
Food is an entire new and different business.
A different level food license, equipment, the footprint to put it into, how to serve it, staffing, a menu that is small, changing and superb, are just a few of the new things to address.
Another thing is to continue to find what the customer wants. That can be a type of beer that they want that I might not consider, or some form of entertainment.
We started Trivia about 6 weeks ago on Thursday night, and now that's our busiest night of the week. Who'd have thunk it?
I hope that answers some of the questions, and I'm always open for suggestions. Feel free to offer ideas.

I've been told that its a huge cost to add food to the brewery based on licensing, insurance and labor, I hope you can get round that huge cost and still make a profit, good luck

I've been told that its a huge cost to add food to the brewery based on licensing, insurance and labor, I hope you can get round that huge cost and still make a profit, good luck
Yes these are all real costs and will be weighed in our decision making

It seems to me a risk vs reward situation. Risking extending into food preped on premises vs hopefully a bigger clientele should = better profit.

Who knows what you are capable of Brian it sounds like you've accomplished great things already.

Atleast it sounds like you've got the great beer part right :D.
Now to work on feeding the masses

I'm turrible sorry man, but there's a place around the corner called BJ's. Not rated as high, but the accoutrements might be worth it.

Just kidding - CONGRATS !!

Work: yup. Been there, done that. Succeeded enough to retire at 60.

Those are good ideas. Food is by far one of the hardest things to do. At least good food. A helper to free up time is a great start.

Go talk to chefs about food. Especially for menu ideas: simple prep, fresh ingredients, limited complexity, good nosh foods.

When the weather gets warmer I need to travel and have a beer at your place. Maybe two!

Brian, have you ever considered food trucks? They're very popular with breweries here these days....

Well, hopefully I've got the pizza down! Haha!
It will never be a full blown restaurant, so that makes it a bit easier.
I'm thinking specific feature meals on each day, wed- sat with some things that are always available.
For example, Thursday night from 4 - 8 or 9ish, we could feature Perogies, Sauerkraut and Bratwurst. Maybe mix in a side of Schupfnudeln.
And always available would be a big, hot soft pretzel, maybe some loaded tater tots, a charcuterie board, etc.
Each night would be a different feature dinner and when we run out of that, you could always get something.
I'm also very seriously considering buying a food trailer that I could park just outside the back door that would operate as a completely separate business.
This could operate seamlessly with our bar but with levels of separation and under its own LLC.
The food trailers have different standards as far as fire suppression and they only get health department inspections once a year.
Plus, this gives me more options of food I could put on the menu. Also, no food smells inside

Work: yup. Been there, done that. Succeeded enough to retire at 60.

Those are good ideas. Food is by far one of the hardest things to do. At least good food. A helper to free up time is a great start.

Go talk to chefs about food. Especially for menu ideas: simple prep, fresh ingredients, limited complexity, good nosh foods.

When the weather gets warmer I need to travel and have a beer at your place. Maybe two!
56, almost 57 and really only working because I'm following my passion and seeing it through.
A few, really well done offerings are the plan.
And let me know if you ever plan to visit our area. There's plenty to see and do. NE Ohio has a great craft beer scene. Just don't come now, it's 12°! Haha

Back