Mauribrew Lager 497?

What is your method to get very clean yeast? Rinse and separate, then careful extraction?
I'm kind of a savage, I just brew a light beer with all whole hops, filter the wort with a paint strainer(sanitized of course) and pour the yeast off the bottom of the fermenter into pint mason jars. As long as you practice good sanitation on all the food contact surfaces, you're all good. No need to get fancy. I brewed 7-8 batches each off a couple packs of US-05 and 34/70 over a little more than a year with no problems using this method.

I bought this yeast several months back but I'm late to the dance in brewing with it. I finally used it when I brewed by wife's pale ale a few days ago. I had been considering using a pitch of fresh Munich Lager yeast slurry, but decided that this yeast would be more appropriate.
I pitched ~70 grams (rehydrated) in 22 gallons of 1.052 wort at 66 degrees. Less than 12 hours later there was blow off activity and by about 18 hours after pitch it was full-on. Between 24 and 36 hours after pitch, it blew off a fair amount of yeast foam and by 48 hours after pitch blowoff activity started to slow. I reset the temp control for 68 degrees.
Checking gravity on day 3 showed 69% attenuation for 1.016 SG. Checking today (day 4) shows 1.010 (probably final FG) and 81% attenuation. It's pretty much ready to dry hop and finish out. The flavor is super clean with a touch of ester contribution but I think if I brew this beer again or do an IPA with it, I'll use a lower cell count for pitching so I can slow down a little and get more fruity ester flavor.
It's going to be a good beer, though. :)

Isn't lagering more of a process? So technically you can 'lager' with any yeast.

That being said, I agree with the comment of Top vs Bottom fermenting being the distinction
Yes, lagering is a process of cold storage for long periods of time. It was typically German brewers who did this to get the yeast to drop out and clear the beer. The term "lager yeast" refers to the typical yeast used in lagered beers. The yeast will act like an ale yeast at higher temperatures, but have the capability to go into the low 40's F (4.5-7.5C) and keep metabolizing. Most ales quit long before hitting those temperatures. Research has shown a different genetic make up of lager yeast. It's a cross between ale yeast (saccharomyces cerevisiae) and a wild yeast (saccharomyces eubayanus). The wild yeast was once thought to have originated in Patagonia, but it's more likely from Mongolia. Which makes more sense because trade between Europe and the Far East goes back to the Greeks and lagers were produced before trade with the Americas. How could the brewers in Bavaria get that wild yeast in their beer if there was no way to get it to Europe?

Just curious - when y'all get 500g, do you store in fridge or freezer? I'm thinking fridge, but we store dry bread yeast in freezer with no ill effects.

Reactions: J A
Dry yeast can be frozen, but not slurry or liquid yeast. Let it warm us before pitching, reseal after use.
Yeast's biggest enemy is air, so vacuum seal it if possible, or use a heavy ziploc bag and extract as much air as you can with your lungs.

You can freeze it but it requires prep work and isn't really for the faint of heart. I did a bunch of it a couple years ago and kind of wonder why I bothered honestly. Unless it's a yeast you literally can't get your hands on just doing good overbuilt starters is a much easier method.

Well I can you this yeast does it's thing pretty well up to the low 70s. My basement temp rose more than anticipated when I made my Czech Pale and it wound up fermenting at 73 F. Came out pretty clean, but a bit dryer than expected(I've been averaging 79-81% attenuation and this ran 85%). I'll be going back to my stainless milker buckets and a water bath to keep the temp down until fall.

I reduced the pitch rate from 25g to 10g for a 5.5 gallon batch of Shady Bohemian. Active fermentation finished in about 5 days, sampled and kegged at 8. Reducing the pitch resulted in a beer that finished in the same amount of time with less trub/dead yeast and a noticeably cleaner tasting beer going into lagering. Looks like a winner.

I reduced the pitch rate from 25g to 10g for a 5.5 gallon batch of Shady Bohemian. Active fermentation finished in about 5 days, sampled and kegged at 8. Reducing the pitch resulted in a beer that finished in the same amount of time with less trub/dead yeast and a noticeably cleaner tasting beer going into lagering. Looks like a winner.
That's excellent to know!! I'll be trying a pitch at or below the lowest recommended rate and see how that does.:)

Attempted low temp fermentation with latest batch of Shady Bohemian, ran it straight through at 50, fermrntation was nowhere near as vigorous, showed slow activity for 10 days, apparent attenuation down from 79% to 74%.

Attempted low temp fermentation with latest batch of Shady Bohemian, ran it straight through at 50, fermrntation was nowhere near as vigorous, showed slow activity for 10 days, apparent attenuation down from 79% to 74%.
I'd be tempted to warm it up toward the end. I suspect that this yeast will throw a fair amount of diacetyl and it's probably best to give it someplace to go. Bumping up to at least mid 60s for the last bit should improve attenuation, as well.

Back