mashing in oven for 1st time

Rudibrew

Trial Member
Reaction score
hi so im mashing in my oven for the first time,its quite constant,great stuff.
rached my mash temp on the gas stove and popped it into heated oven.
actually surprised it works,temp keeping good,actually better than my cooler box

I'm impressed, that's a neat solution. I'd melt my mash tun if I tried it but I like it.

That's awesome.

I don't think my kettle would fit but I'm also not sure my oven goes as low as 150F. Creative solution though.

My 3-gallon kettle fits nicely in the oven, but my new 5.5-gallon kettle is just that much too big to fit. When using the smaller kettle, I found the oven set to “WARM” was the easiest way to hold mash temperature over a 60 minute mash. Now with the new, bigger kettle, I have to settle on a new method for holding mash temperature.

It's a clever solution if your kettle fits.

I don't think my kettle would fit but I'm also not sure my oven goes as low as 150F. Creative solution though.
i added my grains to reach the mash temp of 66deg cel,then popped the pot into the oven,which i warmed up on its lowest setting for 5mins.
then i switched it off and pot in

I have heard of others doing this, good job Rudi!

My 3-gallon kettle fits nicely in the oven, but my new 5.5-gallon kettle is just that much too big to fit. When using the smaller kettle, I found the oven set to “WARM” was the easiest way to hold mash temperature over a 60 minute mash. Now with the new, bigger kettle, I have to settle on a new method for holding mash temperature.
I cover the kettle with a thick blanket. Seems to work ok as long as I get the lid and blanket on right away which means my toddler hasn't taken my lid and run off somewhere...

I used that method many times with my smaller pots. Very constant temp. I'd set the oven at 170 and keep an eye on the internal temp and turn the oven off if/when it started to rise.

It's also similar to a really old farmhouse style of brewing where the oven is as much heating as cooking. You'd take left over grains and bread, cover them in water and then put them in the banked oven overnight. Next day you'd add the remains of your recently finished batch and let it ferment. They'd use this to make low and high ABV beers, depending on the ingredients. Great way to eke out those remaining sugars to fuel you through the day.

It's also similar to a really old farmhouse style of brewing where the oven is as much heating as cooking. You'd take left over grains and bread, cover them in water and then put them in the banked oven overnight. Next day you'd add the remains of your recently finished batch and let it ferment. They'd use this to make low and high ABV beers, depending on the ingredients. Great way to eke out those remaining sugars to fuel you through the day.
I would watch a documentary about the various different styles of beer and how they evolved. I could envision 12-14 seasons of episodes!

Back