Mash calculator, total water

Discussion in 'Feature Requests' started by oliver, Oct 26, 2020.

1. oliver

oliver Well-Known Member

LHBS owner
    This might be too individualistic of a request... Can we add calculated Total Water Volume in the mash calculator page, placed underneath the Infusion Table? https://www.brewersfriend.com/mash/

Reasoning, doing BIAB Step Mashing, and trying to bring my final boiling infusion up to full volume to avoid any kind of sparging. It's a guess and check for me, so I'm trying to distribute out the total water in my steps from 105, 140, and 150 without having to math it out on the side. I like the mash calculator instantaneously tells me you'll need eg. 4.3qt boiling, but it's easy to overshoot volume needed on a BIAB no sparge without getting that initial strike water volume. I hope that makes sense?

Mark Farrall likes this.
  2. oliver

oliver Well-Known Member

LHBS owner
    alternatively, i tried making it in a spreadsheet if some one wants to check my math..this all just to tell me if i'm using the right amount of total water because I don't do sparge.

I used the standard blending equation..
    ((Temperature 1 * Volume 1)+(Boiling * Volume 2)) / (Volume 1 + Volume 2),
    and to find my new temp, I use the volume of quarts as the variable in my spreadsheet with the total volume below to know if i'm under or over what I need.

But then my results were off from Brewer's Friend because I think it takes grain weight into consideration.

So then I looked at Palmer equation found here: http://howtobrew.com/book/section-3/the-methods-of-mashing/calculations-for-boiling-water-additions
    and as I understand...
    (((Target Temperature–Current Temp) * ((0.2 * Grain Weight) + Current Total Mash Volume))) / (Actual infusion temp – Target Temperature)
    So in that equation he's using 0.2*Grain Weight as a constant, I think I'm still off in my spreadsheet as how to incorporate the 0.2 constant number into the blending equation. In my spreadsheet I just did the entire blending equation, and then at the end subtracted (0.2*grain weight) to compensate for grain, but I could be totally off.

attached a screenshot from a 2.5 gallon batch i'm planning soon to see if i'm even remotely close.

Attached Files:

3. Pricelessbrewing

Pricelessbrewing QA Software Tester
    Staff Member

This is on the to-do list! I'll add this forum thread to that ticket to followup as it gets tested, and released.

Yooper and oliver like this.
  4. Yooper

Yooper Administrator
    Staff Member

Happily retired
    I've been doing full volume mashes for my smaller (under 7 gallon) batches as well, and I'm looking forward to this release!

Pricelessbrewing and oliver like this.
  5. Pricelessbrewing

Pricelessbrewing QA Software Tester
    Staff Member

7 gallons being a "smaller" batch...

Yooper likes this.