Established Member
Reaction score
I made a brew
ingredients were
Magnum 21g boil 60min
cascade14g boil 5min
Cascade 46g dry hop 3 days
And grain and yeast

at 2 weeks the beer was nice and had a nice citrus tang to it, with a bit of a bitter taste as after taste
But not to bad a beer
now at 8 weeks the citrus tang has gone but after taste is still there
I have had this trouble using Citra in a summer ale last year, should i boil my hops longer or boil more of them ,
The beer style was American pale ale
Author of recipe was Chris Colby

I made a Sierra Nevada Clone in October that had the same problem, hop flavour fades really fast with certain hops and I used Cascade as well. I made it for an event we cancelled and it was amazing a week in, now I'm dumping it because it's a bland bitter mess.

I would say drink it faster honestly, the hops are going to fade no matter what.

I made a Sierra Nevada Clone in October that had the same problem, hop flavour fades really fast with certain hops and I used Cascade as well. I made it for an event we cancelled and it was amazing a week in, now I'm dumping it because it's a bland bitter mess.

I would say drink it faster honestly, the hops are going to fade no matter what.

Thanks for reply , back to the drawing board for me, i thought i was on a winner with that brew

What kind of beer? Pale ale or IPA? Typical, most home brewers use too little hops in both styles. Hops will fade fairly quickly, especially with oxygen ingress. 5 gallon pale ales can use up to 12 ounces of hops (330 grams) and IPA’s up to and exceeding 20-24 ounces of hops (500-650 grams). Most hops are added in the whirlpool. On top of that, time is the enemy of hop flavor and aroma. I find that they peak at 4 weeks.

at 2 weeks the beer was nice and had a nice citrus tang to it, with a bit of a bitter taste as after taste
But not to bad a beer
now at 8 weeks the citrus tang has gone but after taste is still there
Dude! You gotta drink faster! :D :D
Like @Hawkbox says, hops fade. It's a fact of life. Count on an IPA being at peak drinking at 2-4 weeks, a little longer if there's a lot of whirlpooling. There's nothing wrong with a Pale Ale sitting long enough to have some of the aroma and flavor fade and an IPA with more bitterness than hop flavor is pretty traditional. Just understand that the beer changes and you should adjust your expectations. :)

In addition to hops flavor fading with time, any oxidation makes it happen faster. Make sure to treat your hoppy beers with extra care in racking and packaging, to keep the hoppy goodness as long as possible!

Reactions: J A
I second that. Oxidation is the number 1 killer of hop flavor (or beer flavor for that matter). A general rule: The fewer times you handle your beer (remove a lid, transfer it, stir it, etc.) the lower the oxidation level. If you can, flush all the receiving vessels with CO2, limit headspace in your bottles and purge/cap on foam if possible. Don't splash! Fill everything from the bottom. Your beer will love you for it (or at least have a longer shelf life).

Reactions: J A

Back