LME or DME as late addition

mrskittle

Trial Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I'm very new to brewing having only 1 batch of extract brew under my belt so far. I've debriefed and addressed all my known mistakes from my inagural brew (mostly dealing with unprecise volumes of water). The first time I put in all my extrct at the beginning of the boil, but after a bunch more research, this time I'm looking at doing a late addition instead. For all of my research, I've not come across any information about the type of extract best reserved for the late addition. I'm shooting for a American Pale Ale using Sierra Nevada's clone recipe. I have 5 lbs of LME and 3 lbs of DME. I know that the different forms of extract contribute different gravity points so I think it makes a difference which you add late but I'm just not sure. Please educate me on this topic!!

It doesn't (mostly) really matter which you choose. I prefer DME mostly because of color and oxidation as well as less volume addition - LME is partially water. For reference, DME contributes about 42 points of gravity per pound of DME per gallon of water (Pts * Gal/Lb, or PPG). LME contributes about 36 due to the additional water needed to make it a syrup. I mentioned color: LME is generally darker than DME at the same gravity due to oxidation of the LME. For your Sierra Nevada clone (good choice, by the way), I'd recommend DME because of the color issue.

Thanks for your input Nosybear. I know one of the main arguments for the late addition is the color issue, meaning the longer you boil extract, the darker the beer gets. At this point in my brewing odessey I'm not particulary concerned with color as long as it tastes good. I'm looking at the late addition more in terms of hop utilization.

Sierra Nevada Pale ale has been one of my favorites since they started distributing to the midwest (early 2000's). I was lucky enough to be invited to the distrubutors office for the introduction party. It was like nothing I'd ever tasted and it started my love affair with hoppy beer.

Thanks for your input Nosybear. I know one of the main arguments for the late addition is the color issue, meaning the longer you boil extract, the darker the beer gets. At this point in my brewing odessey I'm not particulary concerned with color as long as it tastes good. I'm looking at the late addition more in terms of hop utilization.

Sierra Nevada Pale ale has been one of my favorites since they started distributing to the midwest (early 2000's). I was lucky enough to be invited to the distrubutors office for the introduction party. It was like nothing I'd ever tasted and it started my love affair with hoppy beer.
Sierra Nevada is one of the few hoppy beers I really like! And based on what you say, it doesn't matter which extract you use. Just be aware that with LME you are adding more volume than with DME and that might affect an OG calculation. And that extract tends to be less fermentable than wort from barley. I generally add some table sugar to my extract beers to cut the body a bit.

Either DME or LME is fine. Dry extract is sometimes a little harder to dissolve as it tends to clump. Liquid extract goes to the bottom and can burn if you don't turn off the heat source while its being mixed in.

Concur above...in fact, one of the podcasts I was listening to last week about Brewhouse Efficiency encouraged the use of DME as a means to make up for missed or low numbers. That of course would require it to be a late addition..so yeah! I've never done it but makes all the sense in the world

Thanks for the replies folks. I went with adding the DME late. I have to say it was as much a matter of convenience than anything. The LME was in a 5 lb container that was much easier to just pour in all at that same time. The DME was weighed out in a separate container and a breeze to throw in late. I did end up having some issues with my gravity numbers thought and started another thread to address that issue.

https://www.brewersfriend.com/forum/threads/feedback-of-brew-day-please-missed-my-og-numbers.12660/

Back