Leaking Fitting

Reaction score
Just finished kegging and force carbing my brew in my new cornie. All going well and after clear up decided to try a sneaky sample. It came with a pre assembled party tap and try as I might I can't get it to seal properly on the keg. The ring clicks into place but beer is gushing out from under the black beer out fitting.

Is there something I am missing or do I have a faulty tap?

Any help much appreciated, don't want to lose any of this brew, It's my best yet!!

Check all your "O" rings. On a corny keg there are three main ones. One on each dip tube and one for the main seal. If they are cracked or dried out or pinched, they need addressed. The other two "O" rings are for the gas/beer posts. You may want to check them out as well. I use "Keg Lube" to keep the "O" rings soft and pliable after each use. And keep a replacement kit on hand. Here one from Northern Brewer: https://www.northernbrewer.com/used-keg-seal-kit

Thanks for the reply, pretty sure it's either the fitting or the post o-ring. Should all be new rings as is reconditioned keg and all look fine but will take a closer look. Tried a dab of vaseline but no go still, I suspect it might be the black disconnect itself

Disconnects are cheap! I have a couple extra, just in case. Let us know if swapping out the beer post fixed the problem.

Fixed it!! and yeah will get a spare or two, just didn't expect problems on a reconditioned system. Luckily had an O-ring kit in the workshop checked the size online and luckily had one to suit.

For those who are interested the size is:
Nominal ID: 0.424"
OD: 0.625"
Width:0.103"

Thanks for the help :)

Reactions: J A
So was it the "O" ring or the disconnect?

Was the "O" ring, a bit miffed as it should have been checked and the seller is now on holiday but it was a good price and I'm now set, with beer and happy

Was the "O" ring, a bit miffed as it should have been checked and the seller is now on holiday but it was a good price and I'm now set, with beer and happy
Great news. I learned the hard way. I needed to replace an "O" ring that I pinched and couldn't find one locally. $3.99 at Northern Brewer... Now I have two of the 5 "O" ring kits on hand at all times. So much of the brewing equipment bits and pieces are one offs and when you are in a bind, you can't find a fix. Fortunately, most of the consumables are cheap, so I keep a couple of everything on hand for just those circumstances.

Yeah feel pretty lucky it was a part I had, good advice I'll deffo stock up on spares!!

I have a bunch of "reconditioned" kegs and I am replacing the o-rings in each one of them as I go as I'm not getting a good seal with them for the most part. Getting some air in the line annoys the hell out of me.

Always keep a spare o-ring kit or two. And, in general, an o-ring assortment is a great thing to have around the house or shop.

I have a bunch of "reconditioned" kegs and I am replacing the o-rings in each one of them as I go as I'm not getting a good seal with them for the most part. Getting some air in the line annoys the hell out of me.

I'm willing to give the seller the benefit of the doubt in my case but yeah I'd be annoyed too if it was all the seals or multiple barrels. Found this while hunting around, might be handy if you have a lot to do.

http://www.homebrewfinds.com/2010/12/bulk-keg-o-rings-at-mcmaster.html

Well I know with Canada dealers at least they seem to just check if the kegs hold pressure and then sell them as is.

Well I know with Canada dealers at least they seem to just check if the kegs hold pressure and then sell them as is.

It's my first keg, so no idea if it's standard practice here too. Seller got back to me offering to pay for a new disconnect to be sent from another seller because he is on holiday, so I feel he is trustworthy. All in all, happy to have joined the corny club, this thing is sweet now I have it working. :)

Oh they're absolutely worth doing, I have 9 of them currently. ;)

Sounds like the guy is treating you right, so that's promising.

It's great, I realised by priming in the bottle that I was basically creating a load more yeast that would have to drop and adding another 2 weeks before much conditioning would happen.

I can have this pretty much carbed in a couple of hours, just need to find a cheaper gas source and a buyer for 60 odd swing tops lol.

just need to find a cheaper gas source and a buyer for 60 odd swing tops lol.

Hold onto those bottles... we still bottle stouts and porters. We bottle from the keg though with a beer gun (Last Straw). Bottles are good keg management as well. When we are needing room in the keezer, we'll bottle up one of the kegs

Hold onto those bottles... we still bottle stouts and porters. We bottle from the keg though with a beer gun (Last Straw). Bottles are good keg management as well. When we are needing room in the keezer, we'll bottle up one of the kegs

Gladly, they might be a bit fiddly but they have seen me through a fair few brews now. Your right, I have storage just now and co2 is spensive compared to sugar if pennies get tight or plans go awry. Just feeling a bit spendy on brew kit and thinking to myself to cut back/regain a bit but I recon I probably would regret it. Had to drink a lot of lightstruck Grolsh for those bottles, not sure my palate could handle that now haha!

Gladly, they might be a bit fiddly but they have seen me through a fair few brews now. Your right, I have storage just now and co2 is spensive compared to sugar if pennies get tight or plans go awry. Just feeling a bit spendy on brew kit and thinking to myself to cut back/regain a bit but I recon I probably would regret it. Had to drink a lot of lightstruck Grolsh for those bottles, not sure my palate could handle that now haha!

Like a friend told me once ( I have aprox. 90 of those) "Those bottles are dangerous, you should just dispose of them properly so no one gets hurt. Just put them in the back of my truck and I will see that they are disposed of properly." o_O:rolleyes:

If you go to an industrial gas supply store I find it's about $35 to fill a 10 pounder CO2 tank which will last me months running 4 kegs at a time.

Back