Lager no starter

Doz

Trial Member
Reaction score
I intend to brew lager for the first time, have a dedicated fridge so possible at last, question is rather than a yeast starter as I intent to go with Saflager, can I just ferment at 18C/65F for a couple of days then drop the temp to 10C/50F for three weeks before upping the temp again for a few days and then lagering at 2C/36F. Seems to be less bother than a seperate yeast starter and gets CO2 protecting my brew early doors.

Any thoughts?

You can definitely pitch the (rehydrated) yeast directly rather than make a starter. Use 2 packets per 5 gallons. I'd pitch at 60 and put it in the chamber set for an ambient of 50 overnight and then up the ambient to 52. Whether you're using s-23 or 34/70, you'll get good results at any temp between 52 and 60(+). I've never seen a significant difference between low 50s fermentation and 60 degree fermentation. Even at 52, you won't likely need 3 weeks but raise temp for diacetyl rest when there's still several points to go to FG - when the gravity is somewhere in the teens. When you're certain that it's at FG, crash it for clearing. Transferring to secondary and usiing Bio-fine or other clearing agent is useful.
Good luck. ;)

Reactions: Doz
Thank you for the helpful advice, I begin my lagering adventure

I'd just leave it at 18c then up the temp to say 20c once krausen has fallen. Your ester production comes from the first few days of fermentation any how. By dropping the temp mid ferment you may risk floculation and therefore under attenuation.

If you want to ferment lager cool start cool and raise up to the 18c or whatever after primary fermentation.

I've not gone the other way around though but usually you start cool and finish high for most fermentations regardless of ale/lager.

Second JA above on both them yeasts and include S189 Swiss lager yeast to the list I fermented that at 18c @10psi recently and clean and malty ;).
Oh and that was one packet S-189 sprinkled directly onto the wort:eek:lol! That's another reason why I fermented warm If I went cool I'd have been nervous but I recon fermenting lager warm is quite like fermenting ale yeast...

Reactions: Doz

Back