Lacing

Vallka

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
In my vast experience…..... Of 14 months of brewing, 98% of my beers so far have had great head retention and lacing. In the past two months I have changed from bottling to kegging, It now seems that I still have the head retention, but I'm 50-50 on lacing. Same beers same process. (The beer is still good )
Any ideas why this would be?

Lacing requires head proteins and dextrines be deposited on the glass. Try some carapils/carafoam. Oh, forgot to ask, was there any crystal or caramel malt in the beer? If so, you likely have another problem (soap film, maybe?).

I always wondered why one of our biggest craft breweries used both carapils and Munich in most of there beers.

In my vast experience…..... Of 14 months of brewing, 98% of my beers so far have had great head retention and lacing. In the past two months I have changed from bottling to kegging, It now seems that I still have the head retention, but I'm 50-50 on lacing. Same beers same process. (The beer is still good )
Any ideas why this would be?

Share a picture

I have noticed in your past posts Valka that you get the most beautiful mountainous clingy head on your Bottle conditioned brews. Kegging is easy to get crazy head just up the PSI but retention is another thing altogether. I find my 500g wheat additions help and a stepped mash towards the high dextrinous end of the schedule helps. Maybe like i hear crunk saying with his spunding "natural carbonation compared to forced carbonation may yeild a different head composition". Has brulosophy covered this?o_O

Im happy to explain my process in depth for you to try if you like. I get huge pillowy head even on my ipas, and nice lacing.

Being honest i think your lacing issue starts at the soup used to clean the glassware, and i am particular about that myself and i have a process for that also.

The nature of the CO2 interaction and suspension on bottle conditioning is fundamentally different from kegging. CO2 is introduced molecule at a time during bottle carbing but with kegging it's flooded in at pressure and takes some time to saturate and hold in suspension. At first the bubbles in the head are big like soda pop but eventually settle down into the finer meringue - like head that gives that nice lacing we like to see.
I'd predict that when your kegs condition for 2 to 3 weeks at cold temp you'll see your lacing be closer to what you get from bottling.

Forgive my ignorance, but what is lacing?

The head on the beer sticks to the glass and leaves a white line every time you take a sip.

Back