Krausen / Fermentation Times

Brewer #224226

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hello - In the process of fermenting my first batch of beer. I noticed on Tuesday that the Krausen had dissipated. Tuesday would mark the 1 week point since I pitched the yeast. Is this about the normal speed you would expect. When the krausen falls, is that a pretty good indicator that fermentation is done/almost done? I know that I need to do the gravity check over a couple of days and no changes = no further fermentation - just trying to get a gauge if I should start checking gravity or if I should wait another week. Tks!

Waiting another week wouldn't hurt a thing, but if the krauesen is gone, you can likely start checking.

Usually safe to assume that there'll be another few gravity points to go after krausen falls. It totally depends on the yeast. Checking gravity starting a couple of days after krausen falls isn't a bad idea. You just don't want to mess with it too much and risk contamination so waiting until you're getting final gravity the first time you check it is preferable.
A reasonable schedule is checking gravity on day 10 and again on day 11 and then cold-crashing for a few days to bottle on day 14. For fermenting at lower temperatures, add a week or so to that day count.

Usually safe to assume that there'll be another few gravity points to go after krausen falls. It totally depends on the yeast. Checking gravity starting a couple of days after krausen falls isn't a bad idea. You just don't want to mess with it too much and risk contamination so waiting until you're getting final gravity the first time you check it is preferable.
A reasonable schedule is checking gravity on day 10 and again on day 11 and then cold-crashing for a few days to bottle on day 14. For fermenting at lower temperatures, add a week or so to that day count.
Thanks - will check it tomorrow. Don't have a refrigerator to use - so won't be able to cold crash.

Reactions: J A
Each ferment will move at a slightly different rate depending on which yeast and how much of it, temp and wort make up ect.
It's done when it's done, JA and Nosy above are spot on

I am in the habit of leaving my beers for two weeks. Often I am adding dry hop additions and do that around day 10 or 11. I typically don't check gravity until day 14-16. Typically at that point I am confirming that I have reached the expected final gravity. The less you mess with it, the less likely you are to introduce an infection. I cold crash, but that is not necessary. JA and Nosy are spot on, just adding my thoughts.
Cheers, and good luck, patience is your friend.

Back