Kolsch yeast input

LlewellynBrewHaus

Premium Member
Reaction score
Setting up for a double brewday and my LHBS is out of 2565 kolsch yeast and suggests S-23 as a sub. No mention of kolsch on the website- is it going to lack the kolschiness of the wyeast ? What say you S 23 users?
@jeffpn ever use a dry yeast ?

K97 I've Used this for Kolsch before German ale 14c ferment big krausen beer turned out good that's the one in my profile pic.

Reactions: J A
Wyeast suggests 1010 American Wheat and 1007 German Ale as substitutes if those are available.

I'd think you could use a lager yeast at the upper end of its tolerance: A Kolsch in Cologne is noticeably fruity with esters.

I'd think you could use a lager yeast at the upper end of its tolerance: A Kolsch in Cologne is noticeably fruity with esters.
S 23 does state fruity in the description but the upper end is 72 was thinking 58ish for fermentation temp
25 IBU's
100% kolsch malt
And hallertau blanc at 60 min and KO

Setting up for a double brewday and my LHBS is out of 2565 kolsch yeast and suggests S-23 as a sub. No mention of kolsch on the website- is it going to lack the kolschiness of the wyeast ? What say you S 23 users?
I have 2 Kölsch yeasts available to me at my LHBS. Both of them are liquid. I'll use either. Personally, not having either of those yeasts would result in me calling an audible on brewday, and I'd brew something else and do the Kölsch later. But if I was determined to make Kölsch, I suppose I'd consider S-23. I use a lot of that. I ferment my Kölsch yeast at 55°F (12.8°C), which is the same temperature I ferment all of my lagers.

I go slightly warmer, low 60's, but I want a more "Koelner" style than the typical American interpretation.

Have done two Kolsch brews,both small batches and both slightly different.
Had some yeast's sent to me to try out FOC including a new dried Kolsch yeast. Must say i was very pleased with both brews and will certainly be doing more:cool:

I'll second the K-97. Very good results. The S-23 won't give you a real Kolsch character - I find even at 60 degrees it's very clean and lager-like. I have used S-23 together with S-33 with great results. It's a fantastic Kolsh-y beer, but very different fruitiness.

Bohemian lager strain. Wyeast 2124

European Ale Yeast will do a good job on Kolsch, too.

As will a Dusseldorfer Altbier yeast (just don't tell a true Rheinlander that).

Back