KnuckleHead Brewing

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by KnuckleHead, Aug 30, 2016.

1. KnuckleHead

KnuckleHead New Member

Hi,
    New to the site. I have been Extract Brewing for over a Year and am now moving into All-Grain.
    I would like to learn how to create my own recipes. Any info on the learning how to create would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. jmcnamara

jmcnamara Well-Known Member

welcome!

Randy Mosher's Radical Brewing was an excellent read for me, so many ideas in there.

Palmer's How To Brew also contains a snippet which basically breaks down how similar beer styles are (http://howtobrew.com/book/section-4/exp ... wn-recipes)

hope that helps

3. jeffpn

jeffpn Well-Known Member

If you're comfortable with extract brewing, look up extract to all grain conversion. Try to figure out how to convert your favorite recipes. That's what I did. It's not exact, but I like it. You'll use the same grains as the steeping grains in your extract recipe, maybe more. And you'll use the same hops.

4. jmcnamara

SMaSH beers are also good (single malt, single hop) so you can isolate flavors of a particular ingredient

then you'll know what each one brings to the table when you combine them in a more complex recipe

5. BDgrainbrewer

BDgrainbrewer New Member

How to Brew: Everything You Need To Know To Brew Beer Right The First Time by John Palmer is a MUST read! I read from cover to cover before ever considering brewing a batch whole grain, and I am glad that I did! Understanding what you are doing and why is the key to success! Belgian Summer Saison works well for me this time of year in Austin, Texas! Zymergy is an amazing craft to learn! Good luck~

6. J A

J A Well-Known Member

Thread drift alert!
    BDgrainbrewer where are you in Austin?

7. BDgrainbrewer

BDgrainbrewer New Member

jmcnamara..The "snippet" that you mentioned does not put emphasis on understanding the brewing process, but rather recipe refinement and selection. The importance of understanding the process entirely before beginning is what I was trying to convey!~ In answer to your question..I live in Llano County on Lake Buchanan..the heart of the Texas Hill Country.

8. jmcnamara

Sorry, thought you said you wanted info on creating recipes. Other areas of that book /site definitely go over what you're looking for