Kettlesour with sour fruits

7 Gal Home Brewing

Trial Member
Reaction score
i would like to make a 5 gal, 6-7% abv sour ale (mainly 2 row barley and wheat, flaked oats, a little acidulated and carapils) with kettlesouring and put the following fruits after primer fermentation:
- sour cherry 3kg/6.6 lbs
- gooseberry 2kg/4.4 lbs
- redcurrants 1kg/2.2 lbs
these are quite low ph fruits so im wondering is there a way to calculate how much ph will drop by all these.. maybe if i kettlesour the base beer to 3.6-ish, it will be too sour afterwards

anyone has such practice about it?

Just had a Cherry Gose last night, tasty. Why not just sour a little less aggressively, then add some lactic acid if your beer comes out too.... What's the opposite of tart? In wine it would be called "flabby."

From the few beers I've had with gooseberry I think it's definitely something to worry about. So I'd adjust the temp or length of the souring (and have some lactic as a backup as nosy suggests).

pH is a pretty rough tool for judging sourness (pH of Coke is 2.5, though that's phosphoric, so a little unfair to compare). If you haven't got a default time/temp from previous plain kettle sours then 3.6 sounds like a reasonable starting point for something with some sourness.

Last edited:

Back