Kegs are calling me

I decided to take a chance on the Picnic Tap 2.1 and floating dip tubes from the same company.
Assuming you are looking at floating dip tube in the keg, they are a pain to install, and you kind of have to do it after cleaning sanitizing and purging.
If I were to try floating dip tubes again, I would either buy the keg lids with the liquid post in them, or buy bulkhead liquid posts and install them in the lid.
1707054315720.png

1707054367825.png

One of the things I liked about the FloatIT floating dip tubes is that the diameter of the hose is small enough that it slides in from the top. So you don't need to contort your wrist inside the keg to attach the hose underside of the post. This video is a review of the FloatIT 2.0 by Benham Brewing where he shows how to install it. That is at the 7 minute mark. I realize the smaller diameter will probably cause the flow to be slower but, the Picnic Tap 2.1 has a slow flow already, so I don't expect the smaller diameter hose to affect the flow.

Loosing another to the keg :-( You will miss that satisfying pssss when you pop the top.
Congrat's on your keg setup!
I will actually miss that pssss. Plus there is something pleasing to seeing a tableful of newly capped bottles. But as far as changes being forced on me by age, I think I can handle this one pretty easily :).

I had a 20% off incentive from MoreBeer.com so yesterday I ordered a set of 4 used kegs. Price came out to $56/keg. Couldn't beat that price. Next, based many of my imaginary friends saying they have Taprite regulators I bought one of those too. Still deciding on whether to get a 5lb or a 10lb CO2 tank. Then the hoses and taps. I'll be sure to get EVA barrier hoses.

I've been looking at reviews for the Picnic Tap 2.1 and there were a few complaints of leaking. Also, a number of reviewers mentioned the flow rate is slow. @Josh Hughes (and anyone else with experience with these) have you noticed any leaks and is the flow rate just slower than a normal tap or are you tapping ;) your foot waiting for the glass to fill? They look cool and have the advantage of not having a hose to worry about, but they are twice as expensive compared to a standard picnic tap.
No leaks in my 3. Slow isn’t bad when the pour is great

One of the things I liked about the FloatIT floating dip tubes is that the diameter of the hose is small enough that it slides in from the top. So you don't need to contort your wrist inside the keg to attach the hose underside of the post. This video is a review of the FloatIT 2.0 by Benham Brewing where he shows how to install it. That is at the 7 minute mark. I realize the smaller diameter will probably cause the flow to be slower but, the Picnic Tap 2.1 has a slow flow already, so I don't expect the smaller diameter hose to affect the flow.
I watched the video, nice looking product.
With a floating dip tube in the fermenter I get pretty much nothing going in the keg, so I don't need floaters in the kegs too.

So my first beer to be kegged has been sitting in the not nearly cool enough garage for almost 2 weeks now. The regulator has been set at 12 psi the whole time, with temperatures varying from ~45F right now, to as high as 50F for a few days. I have not pulled a sample, yet. On Wednesday I am flying home to help my older brother tend to our elderly, ill and injured, widowed father. I am not sure when I will return home. Should I do anything with the keg and regulator, or just continue on the set it and forget it path?
You can leave it, but me, I'd shut off the gas at the tank. Empty tanks happen.

Of the 4 corny kegs, one came unpressurized. I replaced the gaskets and pressurized it. It's find as long as the connector is on the post but, as soon as I remove it....hsssssss. So bad poppet. I'll contact MoreBeer on that. But before I contact them do I need to be concerned with rusted/discolored patches that I see in two of the kegs?

Keg rust 2.jpg
(Can't get 2nd picture to post, but it's similar)

Of the 4 corny kegs, one came unpressurized. I replaced the gaskets and pressurized it. It's find as long as the connector is on the post but, as soon as I remove it....hsssssss. So bad poppet. I'll contact MoreBeer on that. But before I contact them do I need to be concerned with rusted/discolored patches that I see in two of the kegs?

View attachment 28454
(Can't get 2nd picture to post, but it's similar)
That sorta looks like dried on coke or Pepsi?

You sure it's rust?

That sorta looks like dried on coke or Pepsi?

You sure it's rust?
It's smooth to the touch. I tried a soapy scrubby sponge on it without effect. I'll try Bar Keeper's Friend (oxalic acid cleanser) on it and see what that does.
The keg did smell like coke/pepsi when I opened it.

It's smooth to the touch. I tried a soapy scrubby sponge on it without effect. I'll try Bar Keeper's Friend (oxalic acid cleanser) on it and see what that does.
The keg did smell like coke/pepsi when I opened it.
I've seen minor blemishes in mu kegs but nothing like that.

I'm guessing it's because it's behind the diptube it would be a PITA to get too.

I'd remove the diptube and try the barkeeper on it...

Good luck that looks nasty lol

I've seen minor blemishes in mu kegs but nothing like that.

I'm guessing it's because it's behind the diptube it would be a PITA to get too.

I'd remove the diptube and try the barkeeper on it...

Good luck that looks nasty lol
You're right Ben. Was just syrup residue that was easily removed with a little scrubbing and Barkeeper's friend. I'm going to do that to all the kegs, regardless of whether I see any blemishes or not.

You're right Ben. Was just syrup residue that was easily removed with a little scrubbing and Barkeeper's friend. I'm going to do that to all the kegs, regardless of whether I see any blemishes or not.
If you scrub the keg interiors, they need to be passivated again. Trivial to do, starsan is probably the easiest way, and you'd probably sanitize it that way anyhow.

Back