Kegerator Idea

TommyBoy0329

Trial Member
Reaction score
So my local DRMO has a few of these Portable Blood Bag chillers for sale, the interior dimensions are (HxWxD) 240mm x 460mm x 335mm, or approx. 9 1/2 inches (Top to Bottom) by 18 inches (Side to Side) by 13 inches (Back to Front)...

A 2.5 Gallon Corny keg, laying on its side would fit almost perfectly inside with just enough room for tubing...however I don't know how well the keg would retain its contents, is leakage a legit concern if all the seals are intact? Wouldn't the CO2 help maintain the pressurization on the keg seal?

For CO2, I was thinking of using an external tank and routing the tubing through a sealed hole drilled into the side...

I think it would be a pretty cool idea, still waiting on a price back from the Disposition Officer...but all I have ever seen is modified refrigerators, and this seems pretty unique if I can actually get them for a decent price...

Attachments

• Dometic RCB 42P Exterior.jpg
    Dometic RCB 42P Exterior.jpg
    289.2 KB · Views: 155
  • Dometic RCB 42P Interior.jpg
    Dometic RCB 42P Interior.jpg
    277.7 KB · Views: 140
A Corny keg pulls from a tube that toes to the bottom. If you lay it on it's side you'll be blowing foam when it's still 1/4 to 1/3 full. Leaking won't be a problem but possibility of beer backing up into your regulator would be a concern.

A Corny keg pulls from a tube that toes to the bottom. If you lay it on it's side you'll be blowing foam when it's still 1/4 to 1/3 full. Leaking won't be a problem but possibility of beer backing up into your regulator would be a concern.

Well damn I didn't even think of that, lol, I was too caught up on the concept and idea...thanks for saving me wasting money, haha

Reactions: J A
Why don't you stand the cooler on end?

Don't know if the compressor would handle the extra area but you could build up more frig space as in a regular keezer but much taller.

Well damn I didn't even think of that, lol, I was too caught up on the concept and idea...thanks for saving me wasting money, haha

I think there are ways you could alter the pickup tube, reverse the lines so that you're serving from the short tube and forcing CO2 into the dip tube, keep the serving line in the 6:00 position. Might work.
You might consider using it jockey-box style if it cools enough and isn't too expensive. that way you can serve any size keg you want. It's not self-contained, but you didn't have room for the tank in there anyway.

I wouldn't spend any money on the chiller. If it was free, I'd try to figure out a way to make it work. In my opinion, you'd be better off spending money on a freezer or refrigerator that can handle the corny kegs. My 2¢.

Second that surely there is a rusty old fridge kicking around wherever you are that would give you ample space to store some kegs and some bottles save yeast ect;). Here in Aus people are giving them away if you know where to look.

Thanks for all the inputs!

Yea I didn't specifically search them out, lol, I was down at the disposition warehouse and happened to see them sitting in the corner collecting dust and my brain started wandering...I slept on it, and it just isn't worth the pain in the ass to try and make it work...I will stick to the standard mini fridge idea in the future...

But I do like your mindset. Always looking for want can help your brew.
I can't help but walk through a produce aisle in the grocery store and think, yep I might be able to brew with that

Back