KEG ERUPTION...HELP!

Brewer #117748

Trial Member
Reaction score
Keg has been naturally fermenting (1/2 cup corn sugar, 75 F.) for 3 days. Went to remove dry hops and thought I'd add 1tsp. gelatin in 1/2 c. water. When I added the 150 F. gelatin, the keg went off like a mini volcano! Of course I forgot to put the keg in a bucket first.

I know the recommended practice is to cool the beer down before adding gelatin, but in the past, I've added it when transfering to the keg (prior to the start of any carbonation) with good results.

Did the temperature of the beer combined with the start of some carbonating cause the eruption? If so, what are your recommendations?

Thanks!

My guess is the carbonation is the issue. You may have dissolved the gelatin in water but there was probably enough particles around to create nucleation sites and which triggered the eruption. I think just keep adding it before you begin carbing it and you'll be fine.

That^^^
Gelatin after carb is a tricky proposition. Just let it sit cold for a week or two and it'll clear on its own. You'll have less crap to blow out, too.

Back