Keg Conditioning

Well that was specific to NEIPA so I would caution about being to smarmy about it.

Why would results from an NEIPA not be relatively applicable to other styles? And who's being "smarmy"?

I'm going to suggest the post just before mine with the roll eyes. The article itself says in the summary that it's not necessarily applicable to other styles.

It’d be easy to point the finger at oxygen and move along our merry way, but what really gets me is the fact NEIPA seems so much more susceptible to this type of oxidation than other styles, like there’s some sort of interaction between oxygen and some unique aspect of NEIPA. Personally, my eyes are on the high amount of flaked oats typically used when making this style, a variable we definitely plan to continue exploring.

Again, I'd be willing to bet if I made 20 different beers, half CO2 purged and half the way I do it now without, that you couldn't tell which 10 I purged. I wonder if I purged 5 of 20 if they could be picked out. I bet not. Maybe related, may not be, but I think some brewers do things just so they can tell their friends how involved and difficult brewing is. To each their own. I'd still drink their beer!

About 1/3 of my kegged beer never gets a blanket of Co2. Why... because it's the one thing I keep forgetting about until I'm half way through filling the keg. o_O The good news... couldn't tell the difference.

Full disclosure.... kegs don't last long around here. :D

Last edited:
I have six kegs on tap. I think on the average, each lasts about two months.

I dont know what smarmy means but i wasnt meaning to be cockie if anything this last brulosophy exbeeriment has me taking a double look at oxidization especially on hoppy beers. Think how much money is spent on the hops we throw in our hoppy ales (mines alot less than others ive seen). Why not try and get as much longevity out of that hop aroma and flavour as you can. You get diminishing returns for your buck the longer you leave them. Is this pesonal opinion no, like mase said before, my hoppy kegs dont last longer than 2 months and why should they fresh is best with hopster beers i think.
I just think there may be a reason to take a second look at the oxidation conundrum in the beer brewing department it seams to be a well contested new frontier of brewing;).​

I dont know what smarmy means but i wasnt meaning to be cockie if anything this last brulosophy exbeeriment has me taking a double look at oxidization especially on hoppy beers. Think how much money is spent on the hops we throw in our hoppy ales (mines alot less than others ive seen). Why not try and get as much longevity out of that hop aroma and flavour as you can. You get diminishing returns for your buck the longer you leave them. Is this pesonal opinion no, like mase said before, my hoppy kegs dont last longer than 2 months and why should they fresh is best with hopster beers i think.
I just think there may be a reason to take a second look at the oxidation conundrum in the beer brewing department it seams to be a well contested new frontier of brewing;).​
Hot side oxidation and LODO brewing seem to me to fall into the realm of magic: Do exactly these steps in exactly this order while mumbling the following arcane symbols and the slightest deviation will lead to failure. HSO was discredited, now has reappeared as LODO, the mind boggles. There has never been any disagreement whatsoever on cold-side oxidation. It is bad. It results in short shelf lives and beer tasting of wet cardboard. The Brulosophy guys are stating that NEIPAs seem more susceptible to cold-side oxidation, perhaps as a result of the high amount of raw grain or maybe the high hop volumes. I don't do regular IPAs because I can't keep them fresh, so tend to believe the results. I blanket all the vessels I use in my beer production. I don't keg and I don't purge my bottles before filling them. But I don't splash, and I do make sure everything has some level of protection, resulting in good shelf lives and little oxidation flavor. Bottom line is to be careful, not obsessive, and in the case of NEIPA, there may be nothing you can do to keep it around longer than a week or two.

But it sure tastes good during that week.

Anyone use this co2 harvester contraption to collect co2 so when cold crashing suck back is co2 I've been thinking a balloon could suffice:rolleyes:. Sorry thread deviation"...

Reactions: J A
Mmmm neipa ! Waiting on 2017 crop hops to land in Oz then will brew one ...750 g should suffice

Thinking dental floss through airlock so I can lower hop bags in during ferment will avoid opening fv

Mmmm neipa ! Waiting on 2017 crop hops to land in Oz then will brew one ...750 g should suffice

Thinking dental floss through airlock so I can lower hop bags in during ferment will avoid opening fv
Monofilament fishing line works nicely too.

Dry hopping once fermentation is.complete in keg may also reduce cold side oxidation a little to eh?

I thought the comment on using a freshly kicked keg for NEIPA transfer as a brilliant idea!

For the record, I don't blow CO2 into my empty keg. My ales never get cold until they are in the keg. I only say this because I want to point out those are not necessary stesp. But then much of what we all do may not be necessary. I'm not saying there'd be no benefit, especially regarding cold crashing. It's just not worth the process to me. I'm not so sure there's a huge benefit to filling an empty keg with CO2 prior to racking. As long as you keep a quiet siphon going, the beer will push the air out as the keg fills. I don't see a lot of air getting dissolved into the beer. I see that operation as a waste of CO2.[/QUOTE
Jeff:]
I like your thought process on this. It makes sense. Nick

That's because I once lived in Mingo jct, but I've told you that before!

I have one of those hand held co2 dispensers that allows you to shoot co2 into a keg when you fill it. it uses the small co2 cartridges like a pellet gun uses. When I fill a keg it helps to seat the lid, purge o2 from the head space and give an initial co2 charge. The keg can then sit (warm or cool) until ready to tap in the kegerator. If it's an ale or a stout, I don't worry about cooling it (yet). If it's a lager, a kolsch, or a common, I will find space for it in the 50 degree fermenter.

Jeff - a question -
jeffpn said:
For the record, I don't blow CO2 into my empty keg. My ales never get cold until they are in the keg.

does this mean they sit in a carboy until a keg is open?

I always hook it up and do the 4 pull method, pull wait 5 then pull then after 4 unhook

Back